1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm trying to get out ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MightyMouse, Apr 13, 2010.

1. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

And I think I'm on my way.

I've gotten tired of not having a good answer every time someone asks me how work is going. And I cringe at the thought of leaving my current crappy paper to go to a different crappy paper.

So yesterday I rounded up some college transcripts, and today I filled out an application to go back to school to get my psychology degree. I'd like to get into adolescent/youth counseling. I've looked, and a lot of places will hire you with a 4-year degree as long as you're working on a masters. The admissions counselor said I can have a bachelors degree with just 13 classes, and I'm hoping with my 5-1 schedule that I can do this without having to quit (basically using my dead-end job to subsidize my way out).

Bottom line is that whereas 2 weeks ago, all I had to look forward to was working until I die, now I am excited at the prospect of being able to say, "See ya" after just 3 semesters of work.

So, I guess what I want to know is:
    -Has anyone else done this (or something similar)?
    -Am I crazy to try to keep working while I go back to school?
    -Is it dishonest of me to not tell my boss that I'm going back to school so that I can get out of there? It really wouldn't surprise me if they fired me if they knew I was doing this.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A. There is a particular board member I hope will weigh in on this. He did all the work but I take all the credit.

B. If they fire you, finish faster. Any newspaper that doesn't understand an employee's desire to be prepared for the future, given the state of the business, is a real piece of crap. That said, it would not surprise me if some newspapers indeed felt that way.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I took my last newspaper job solely because it allowed me to finish school. Ditched the reporter's cap and worked the desk. I went to school during the day and worked at night. It sucked. Bad. But it was worth it. Big time.

Probably the hardest I've ever worked at anything. Probably the hardest I'll ever work at something. They knew full well that I would be trying to leave around the time I graduated, and they still helped pay for school. They were also very flexible with my schedule around exam time. I graduated Dec. 8 and started my next job Jan. 26.

If you really want to do it, go for it. But be prepared to work hard.

4. Echoing the sentiments of Moddy and Sonner:
    - Yes. I know three people who have.
    - No. But it will be very hard.
    - It is not dishonest. You want to further your education, which naturally means a better job. If your employer does not understand this, screw 'em.

5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

So you have a ft newspaper gig and you haven't finished your 4-year degree?

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I had signed up for classes before I knew I was laid off. My bosses were actually pretty supportive, because they knew about the state of the industry and had told me that if I needed to arrange my schedule differently, they would try to help me.

Then I was told about my layoff, and it actually made leaving the place easier. Basically, I could say that I was exploring other options.

I ended up getting laid off just as school was starting, so I can't say what it's like to juggle both school and work. But a good amount of my fellow students are working FT and taking a couple of classes. They get stressed out, but they're doing well, and most of the professors are more understanding about the adult students, and sometimes give them an extra week to turn in assignments.

And if your paper is going to fire you for trying to improve yourself, screw them. Unless they're willing to guarantee you a job for a certain amount of time in writing, do what's best for you. They'll do what's best for them.

7. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Hmm. Good inspiration. 33, 2 kids, a wife, and I am checking into an MBA program. I have to take calculus -- missed it a decade ago as an undergrad (who needs calculus right?) -- but I got to figure out doing this while doing a beat where I travel. Whatever, going to get it done.

F the biz.

How old? And am I crazy?

8. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Calculus is nothing. Differential equations ... now that's hard.

9. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

No, I have a degree (2, actually -- an AA and a BS), but I'm totally switching fields, so I'm looking at a second bachelors.
    Again, looking down the list, I need 13 classes and I'll be done (or at least ready to move on), so that is very encouraging to me.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Given your current work schedule, I'd say that's a safe bet. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Mighty, I went back to school last year with the intention of finally finishing my course work after a decade off and transitioning into another media-related career. I graduate in May, and I may still make that transition, but I was thinking about my job prospects today and realized just how much I love the newsroom. It's one of the few places on Earth I feel completely comfortable, like I was born to work there. Anyway, that personal tangent really doesn't help you any, so sorry about that. Just do what you think is right and I'm sure it'll work out. And good luck.

12. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

sonner's boss told me it never appeared that he was working very hard in the office.

Draft saved Draft deleted