1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm sure the IRA is predominantly Protestant, too....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PopeDirkBenedict, Dec 11, 2006.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Well, it looks like Pelosi was choosing between a disgraced federal judge, her political enemy or a guy who can't tell you the difference between Sunni and Shia when she chose who would head the House Intelligence Cmte.

http://public.cq.com/public/20061211_homeland.html

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Heaven forbid Pelosi chose her enemy (Harmon), who has a clue as to what she's talking about,

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Our government -- Dems and Repubs alike -- don't seem to be big fans of Sun Tzu.

4. Well, this seems like a convenient story, since this one's been in circulation for two years now.
    http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/Ambassador_claims_shortly_before_invasion_Bush_0804.html

And Harman was wrong about pre-war intelligence, wrong about WMD's, and wrong (INHO) on domestic wiretapping. So, "she knows what she's doing" is, well, arguable.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I think it's pretty clear that all of our leaders don't have much of a grasp of the finer points of Islam and the Arabic world. But that's why they have staffs -- to have people whose job it is to feed them on a need-to-know basis the grasp of the finer points of, well, everything.

6. Bob --
    Good on you for pointing that out. The problem is also that, most of the people who knew the most about the region were saying from the jump that this was a terrible idea, and they were either run out or marginalized by the ignorant people in charge, who didn't know anything at all -- not dissimilar to what happened in the 1960's, when we got involved in SE Asia having red-baited the veteran Asia-hands out of the government a decade earlier.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

The fundamental difference between Sunni and Shia is a finer point of Islam and Arabic world?

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'd suggest there's plenty of ignorance to go around.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Bob - a staff is there to handle the details. Knowing whether Al Qeda is predominantly Shiite or Sunni is not a small detail for the staff to figure later. Or Hezbolla's leanings. These are the basic building blocks the leader of the Intelligence Committee chair should know!

Like Ted Stevens, who for crying out loud, is the chairman of the United States Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation; and he thinks the internet is a series of tubes! And a staffer of his sent him an internet last week!

We elect absolute garbage to run this country. Garbage in, garbage out.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Fenian, from what I've heard on the talking head shows, she seems intelligent. Guess that's my problem, watching too much CNN.

11. Maybe, but a Democratic majority that won primarily because of a clusterfuck of a war probably shouldn't be promoting someone so closely involevd with enabling said war.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

To many Americans, Islam is just Islam. It may be the same for many Arabs regarding, say, Catholicism and Orthodox Christianity.

Draft saved Draft deleted