1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm sure most of us have been here before

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Madhavok, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Getting overlooked for a promotion and watching it go to a less qualified person. Just happened to me for the first time and it's killing me. Mainly for this simple reason: he's a good guy but the biggest slacker on our crew. Of the other applicants, I was the only one with supervisor experience in our field (Terrain Park) as well as a good three years ahead of everyone else in terms of experience. I guess when you're the only guy on the crew who isn't a total pothead, you're not going to win any points. I don't even want to go back as a lead and have to deal with the politics and watch our new supervisor continue his slacking ways.

edit: I know this happens all the time in pretty much every field and I usually preach the 'it's not what you know, it's who you know', but I sort of thought this time would be different.

Sorry.

end of rant.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Getting overlooked for a promotion is bad enough.

You know what was worse for me, though? Seeing someone less qualified get a promotion and hearing through the grapevine that I would have gotten it if I'd applied. That's happened to me, too.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Did you apply for the promotion? Did your boss know you were interested?
    Have you spoken to your boss in the past regarding advancement?

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You know what you need? A big bowl of Golden Grahams. That'll make anyone feel better.

5. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Supervisor got fired on a Monday. I showed up early the next morning (after working second shift the day before) to put my hat in the ring, only to discover the big boss hired someone not only less qualified but a grade-A kiss-ass. Heard big boss go on about how he "never had any inkling I was interested in being a manager," and that he "didn't think I was management material."

A month-and-a-half later I was gone of my own accord to greener pastures. The kiss-ass in question ended up at a major metro within four years while I continued to ply my trade in the sticks. Who you know, indeed.

I feel your pain, bro.

6. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Madhavok, that sucks. I've been there.

At my first job, the top writing position opened up because the guy moved up to be the SE. I was one of two internal candidates and everybody assumed I would get the job. I was more qualified by just about any measure you want to put on it.

The other guy, a good friend of mine, got the job. Without getting too deeply into the details, the SE chose the option that made it easier for himself to be lazy. Then he told me he wanted to train me to be a SE and maybe they could "get me a little more money" a few months down the line. Translation: he wanted an excuse to dump his work in my lap so he could slack off.

Before word got out, I had people coming up to me and asking if I was excited about the new position and when I started.

Took me a year to get out of that place, but I moved on to a bigger paper and a few months later, they demoted my buddy because the position was eliminated. I can't say I was happy to see my buddy get screwed over, but it did take a little of the sting out of the whole thing.

Hopefully something better will open up for you soon, Madhavok.

8. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Yes, yes, and yes. He was the one who told me to apply and that I'm a 'great asset to the company'. I knew going in the person who eventually got it, was probably going to get it just because they were buddy-buddy.

So I guess I wasn't good enough due to me going through the process and such. When resumes are compared, my looks excellent (three different resorts, one with supervisor experience). Great customer service and the whole enchilada.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

In that case, I'd ask for a follow-up meeting with the boss. I'd bring a copy of my resume and previous evals.
    I'd go over my qualifications thoroughly with him/her and ask for specific information about the decision-making process and exactly where I was found wanting in relation to other job candidates.
    That should all be done professionally and with civility.
    I would also look for other employment opportunities. I would not notify my boss that I was looking because I wouldn't want it to look like a case of sour grapes.
    However, when I secured another position I would inform the boss immediately and give appropriate notice. In the event that I was asked why I was leaving, or if the company has a formal exit-interview process, I would say the promotion process was not clearly defined or not based on actual merit, etc., whatever the case may be.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Madhavok, I've been through this crap in the last 60 days.

Got two different meetings, the second one with the top two people in my department. I've yet to hear a legitimate reason - they think what they told me flies - but at least they now know their communication stinks. The top honcho used the term 'embarrassing' to describe said communication.

That's not a consolation prize, but it helps. And if they think I'm through, they're kidding themselves.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Is Ace OK? His absence from this thread makes me worry.

12. He's out celebrating.
    I heard he just got a new promotion!

Draft saved Draft deleted