1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm Ron Burgundy, go f--- yourself Bismarck

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bubbler, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Most newspapers do a lousy job of this, by the way.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

A while back I was sports editor at a small paper and got wind shortly before a school board meeting they'd added something about football to the agenda so I went over. I don't remember exactly, but outside of the board members, me and our education reporter there weren't more than 10 people to hear them say they hired a new football coach the big county high school. It was by far the most read story of the week.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Yup. Yup you damn straight are a teevee guy.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I can't believe I watched the entire half-hour of North Dakota TV news.

Thought Burgundy's effort was a B-minus, though the too-obvious play would have been to just hijack the entire show. Pretty straight performance. I was more impressed by the attractive co-anchor largely holding it together for the entire broadcast. PCLoadLetter, what did you think of her? I kinda wondered if that would be a good piece of resume tape (since, of course, it's not all about your journalism chops).

5. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I think he loves doing this stuff, considering he's done Super Bowl ads for Old Milwaukee that only aired in podunk towns (granted the commercial's were produced by Funny or Die, which he has a stake in).

http://deadspin.com/5981522/heres-will-ferrells-bizarre-old-milwaukee-super-bowl-ad-that-only-aired-in-sherman-texas-ardmore-okla-and-glendive-mont

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Maybe you put a 10-second clip of it in the opening minute of your demo reel to show humor. Anchors who are actually sharp, spontaneous and funny are quite rare.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I agree -- I thought she did very well in a goofy situation for an anchor, particularly one who's young and in a small market. I'd definitely include it on a resume tape, but like exmediahack said, I'd keep it pretty short (essentially saying "Yeah, I was that girl next to Ron Burgundy"). She pretty well hit the jackpot there -- a weekend anchor in Bismarck suddenly gets a video of her work in front of every News Director in the country (and it's not because her co-anchor muttered "fucking shit" on camera). She absolutely made the most of the opportunity.

Draft saved Draft deleted