1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm Peter King and Your Not

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Sep 19, 2006.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Re: Hey PK - Next Time Say Please

Yes, but this can be excused. It was the highlight of Freddie Mitchell's career. I think he might be working at Ruth's Chris now.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Good one Luggy - with the eagle receivers

I am pretty sure it was US Air - but yes it was the now infamous yogurt prezel incident

3. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

"Eli really grew up out there today,'' Tiki Barber told me afterward from the Giants' noisy team bus.

The new Brady Bunch. This was just before 8 p.m. on Sunday night, and Brady sounded like the man who'd just lost a game to the Jets, not won. "This was a long day,'' he told me, winding down after New England's survivalist 24-17 win over the Jets.

"This game will bother me till next Sunday,'' Brett Favre said from Lambeau after the Packers' 34-27 loss to New Orleans. "I'm beat. I'm down. Damn. That was one of those games you fight to the bitter end. But if we continue to play like this and battle like this, we're going to win some games. We may not win as many as we've won in the past, but we'll win.''

I asked Jeremiah Trotter what it was like in the Philly locker room after the loss to the Giants. "Quiet as a church mouse,'' he told me.

"The NFL didn't do us any favors with the schedule,'' linebacker London Fletcher told me. "But you just play what the schedule says. Now at least I think we've shown that when you play us, it's going to be a long day.''

"Daunte's nowhere near as mobile as he used to be,'' Vincent told me. "And he's staring down his receivers. He gets a quick read, then he locks onto his guy. We knew if we could get to him consistently, he wouldn't be able to make the plays he wanted to.''

"We haven't accomplished anything yet,'' Ed Reed told me after the game.

I tried to interview Chad Johnson after the game but was told by the crack p.r. man of the Bengals, Jack Brennan, that Johnson was in no mental shape to talk to me.

So it looks like, using the NBC/SI angle, King is able to basically get who he wants Sundays when the players have left the park.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

It was definitely Delta.

Did we mention the outrage over the $8 bottle of water in hotel room? Which hotel chain was that?

5. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

are you seriously wondering about this? Yes, the guy that writes for SI and appears on the NFL pre-game show for NBC gets more access than most other journalists.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Dinners at Ruth's Chris don't hurt, either.

You get what you pay for, and if it's access you pay for...

7. Re: Hey PK - Next Time Say Please

C'mon, folks. The coffee anecdote made him look really lame, but now we're down to ripping the guy because he gets access and picks up checks. Please consult Michael McCambridge's SI book on Jenkins et. al. attitude toward that before ripping PK for it.

8. Lugnuts

In your opinion, is it okay for him to use his column to criticize Delta for not holding a plane for him and his daughter while she got yogurt pretzels on the way home from her college visit?

Because I was always taught things like this were a no-no. For example, if a mechanic messes up my car, would it be okay for me to do a story trying to expose him? Or threaten him with, "Do you know who I am? I'm a reporter. I'll just show up here with my cameras and do a story on you."

9. Re: Hey PK - Next Time Say Please

No. And I didn't defend that.
    I said to criticize somebody because they get access, and because they may get it by picking up checks, pretty much eliminates the career of Dan Jenkins, among other talented folks.

10. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

are you referring to me? I didn't even have a problem with his coffee story, a staffer said she was going to Starbucks and asked if anyone wanted anything,.....he said sure. Big deal. He didn't order her to get his latte.

11. Lugnuts

Fenian,

There's nothing wrong with "picking up the check." But as he described it, this was a lavish meal -- drinks included. He was flaunting his expense account.

At the time it raised some issues about what's a simple "picking up of the tab" versus what's "paying for access."

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It was not just any chain - it was The Breakers.

How about when PK complains about someone else using cell phone - yet refers to using his all the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted