1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm out and I'm coming out

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm db-ing myself here but I'm told not everyone can read the other board:

This is one Pipeline tidbit I damn sure know is reliable because, well, my source is me.

For the three of you who haven't figured it out yet, I'm Mike Harris - sports editor of the Richmond Times-Dispatch. From 10/16/2006 until 1/18/2008.

I submitted my resignation today. Reasons are many but none has anything to do with the great staff here. To simplify it, I have received an excellent offer that I want to take. And the financial scene in the newspaper business scares the living hell out of me.

I will be joining the athletic staff at Virginia Commonwealth University - my alma mater - and teaching in the VCU SportsCenter, a graduate program for sports management.

It was an easy call as it was a great offer and a tough call as I love my staff and my newspaper. Bottom line is I felt strongly that I had to do it so I'm doing it. I feel bad that I only gave this job 15 months but the newspaper scene has changed dramatically in those 15 months. I also can't control when a great offer comes along.

I hope deputy editor Steve Trosky gets a shot at being SE here. He's been a godsend to me. But I don't know what will happen. It's a great job for somebody.

The bad news: I'm not going anywhere as far as SJ is concerned. I've talked this over with Webby, I'm staying in my current role here. We talked about going to my name like he did with his but, hell, I'm Moddy and will stay Moddy.

I will be in touch with many of you shortly. Thanks for making this a fun "side job," even with all the aggravations.

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Whoa!

rb

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Good luck Mike. Sometimes when you feel deep in your heart that you need to do something, it's time to do it.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Congrats, Moddy/Mike.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Congrats!

Don't ogle any sabras.

6. Good stuff Mike...Now I can call you Mike instead of moddy (about time). Congrats on the new gig and good luck in the future. You've always been really nice and complimentary toward me - at least to my real-life persona - and I've definitely appreciated it.

The best,
    Hated

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I said we could read it, we just couldn't respond to it!!!

Anyway, congratulations to one of my favorite people in the business, someone I owe huge amounts of thanks to for the advancement of my career. He's been a friend, a mentor, and an asshole...and I love him desperately for all aspects of that.

Congrats, Mike, and don't forget the little people on your move into academia.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

How long before this thead gets locked? ;)
    Congrats. Be good and strong.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

The hell with Deep Throat, this is a bigger shock!

Mike, congratulations. I hear ya... stuff like the Sun-Times deal in the past couple days makes you wonder if you really want to continue in the business.

Best wishes in your new career and we'll be happy to call ya Moddy here.

Oh and by the way... this won't end well. ;D

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

holy shit

congrats, man

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Congrats, Mod. You've been good to me and the others here. Enjoy the extra time (I hope) that you'll get to spend with the Queen.

12. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

M/M,

Thank you for the help you gave me. It meant a lot more than you know. Congrats on the new adventure and glad you are staying here, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted