1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm not mean enough to run a "he's not 'Stayin' Alive'" joke here...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Apr 14, 2012.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

A lot like Aerosmith in that they were hot with their sappy ballads during the sweet part of the 1960s, then as the 60s turned grim, they fell out of favor. Then they hopped on a new hot thing and found new relevance for a while. BTW, I like the album before SNF, with Nights on Broadway and You Should Be Dancing, better

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Heh. The linked story said Andy Gibb died at age 30 of a heart ailment.

I guess that's what they're calling it these days.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Another cause-of-death nugget: Karen Carpenter actually died from eating too much.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

You are an awful human being.

(So am I. I laughed. A lot.)

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Nights on Broadway, Jive Talkin' and Fanny (Be Tender With My Love) were on Main Course, which was two albums before SNF. The album Children of the World had You Should Be Dancing, Love So Right and Boogie Child on it, so they actually went a bit disco before SNF. Children of the World was their last studio album that I bought. I absolutely love the stuff they did before disco and I also bought the SNF album on vinyl way back then.

For me, their best stuff will always be the late '60s, early 70s' stuff such as How Can You Mend a Broken Heart. They were doing pop arrangements with strings back then that really made for some special stuff.

Around 1976 they had an album called Bee Gees Gold with 12 songs from that era. Songs like Words, I've Gotta Get a Message To You, To Love Somebody, Lonely Days, My World, Run to Me ... such great, great stuff.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Totally agreed. Some memorable works.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Sadly, he may not live to see his first classical show "The Titanic Requiem," which he composed with his son for the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/gossip/2012/04/robin-gibb-coma-near-death-titanic-requiem.html

Check out the video at the end. Full orchestra arrangements.

8. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Technically true, given that he died of heart failure, though not quite accurate contextually speaking.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Sad but true ... the first concert I ever attended was Andy Gibb. I was probably 6. My sisters were 2 years older and loooved him, so mom took us to see him. And he dated Victoria Principal, who I had a HUGE crush on.

As for the Bee Gees, still listen to those SNF songs all the time. They hold up very well.

Wonder if Timberlake will show up on SNL at some point to do a tribute.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The judges also would have accepted "How Deep is Your Grave."

(I can't leave journalism. I'm too old to clean up my sense of humor).

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

What a sick bunch. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted