1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm not gay, I just sodomize other boys (Wrestling story in NY Times)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Dec 19, 2010.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

1. Didn't some kid in Minnesota get eye herpes? I swear we had a thread on here about it.

2. My school used to disinfect the mat using a mop. They would take this dirty old mop and bucket that the janitor probably used in 1982 to clean up puke in the bathroom, and filled it with water and bleach. Then they slathered it all over this nasty-ass mat. All the gym classes had to use it as part of the gym unit. And everyone was required to take gym at some point. Needless to say, I took a lot of extra showers the year I had gym. I definitely prefered the flag football part of the unit.

2. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

There was an outbreak of herpes gladiatorum in Minnesota a few years ago that caused the state to shut down all high school wrestling practice and competition for one week in order to contain it. That's probably what you're thinking about. The wrestling strain of herpes can sometimes manifest itself as a sore on the eye. Those kids all got it from skin-to-skin contact and not the mat.

High schools that allow their gym classes to use the wrestling mats are foolish. Tracking crud from street shoes onto the mat is one of the best ways to introduce fungus and bacteria. When I was in high school our gym teacher would occasionally send his classes into the wrestling room to do their stretching. I made sure I would swing through the wrestling room several times a week and anytime I would catch a class in there, I would tell the students that we had recently had a ringworm outbreak on the team and that it spreads through the mat, so they probably didn't want to be on them. It was a pretty effective way of keeping the gym classes off the mats because even if the teacher sent them in there, most of the students were afraid.

All of the wrestling programs I was ever associated with had dedicated mops, mats and disinfectants and the mats would get wiped down before and after every practice.

3. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Pretty common to have guys wrestle up and down classes and against guys with vastly more experience in practice. Coaches put you under unusual duress because six minutes on a mat in a packed gym — all eyes on you — and a spotlight down is about as stressful as sports life gets for a HS kid. I was a pretty solid heavyweight, but there was a 135-pounder on our team I would avoid. Kid was a bad ass. Weight doesn't always matter. But again, in order for the cross-weight thing to work there has to be a level of competitive respect between teammates. We never had any issues with it, but our coach was outstanding. I'd imagine a coach with less influence could have issues.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

You get ringworm from the mats, too.

Knew a kid in high school who had a ringworm infection on his chin. That'll keep the girls away.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Sounds like some wrestlers would be great at bowling. ;)

I never wrestled, but if somebody did that to me, the wrestling match would end and the boxing match would immediately commence.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Like someone said earlier, it's not just the state associations that have began monitoring weight a lot closer than in years past. The NFHS, I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong), said states must follow the new guidelines when they were released a few years ago.

You can only cut a certain amount of weight in a week, and a certain amount throughout the course of the season. And wrestlers are allowed two pounds over their weight (i.e. 173 pounds to wrestle at 171 and so forth).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Based on your avatar, you've let yourself go quite a bit.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Case dismissed.

http://www.fresnobee.com/2011/01/27/2249548/assault-charge-dropped-in-wrestling.html#storylink=omni_popular

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

That is a darn well-written story. Just solid. Nothing flashy. Good job Pablo Lopez.

signed,

not Pablo Lopez

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Coach now relieved of duties.

http://www.fresnobee.com/2011/03/17/2314552/buchanan-wrestling-coach-removed.html

Draft saved Draft deleted