1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm not being paid to talk about Mayweather-Pacquiao

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, May 1, 2015.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's as much nonsense in hearing local radio and TV people gush that local NFL team is going to the Super Bowl just because they won a wild-card game.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Apparently, they're expecting at least 4 million buys. But no one cared because it didn't happen 5 years ago.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

P. T. Barnum applauds.

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I like the Tyson-Holyfield I comparison... A fight everyone wants to see, just five years after they wanted to see it.

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I get the interest and it was fun to pretend that people still care about boxing for a few minutes...

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Somebody nailed it on the original fight discussion. Most of the "interest" in the fight was not wanting to be left out of the social loop. And that kind of interest --- in anything --- is quite hollow.

8. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Like the World Cup in America.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

But, yet, it made fat pockets for all parties involved in promoting and participating in the fight. Newspapers should be so lucky to get such hollow interest.

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I think BTE was probably saying that, while it was a tremendous one-time cash grab for those involved, it probably did little to generate continued interest in boxing. Do you think there will be an resurgence of the sport thanks to this fight?

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

What it showed is how much of a niche sport boxing really is. Without someone with an outsized, Ali-type personality as its face, even supremely masterful boxing like Mayweather's is pretty boring to the casual observer.

"Hit and don't get hit" is the entire point. The most entertaining fights are most often in direct opposition of the sport the way it was intended.

The best fights transcend the traditional sport. Saturday's fight was much more representative of the true sport than, say, the Gatti-Ward trilogy was.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

A lot of money is made by making people feel they need to show interest in something or be exiles in the social loop. They didn't make a dime off ME, and that's all I can control.

Draft saved Draft deleted