1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm looking for my first job

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by foamy2001, Sep 14, 2012.

1. foamy2001

foamy2001 New Member

I have clips, but my sports clips are older. My most recent clips are music features for the local weekly alternative. I did cover high school sports a few years ago for my biggest local paper (Dayton Daily News), but those clips are so old I'm hesitant to send them out.

My question is, if I don't have recent sports clips, does it do any good to apply for sports jobs? I'm trying to start writing for my smaller local papers. Should I just wait to apply for sports reporter positions when I have more recent sports clips, or go with my music clips for every job?

Thanks in advance.

2. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

I'd send a mix of your more current stories and your sports stories. I would imagine that a sports editor would want to see that you can write a strong game story, etc., and would want to see what you've done lately. I'd say never disqualify yourself for any job. Let someone else do that. I'm sure there are hundreds of examples of people who have gone into sports from another background and vice versa. It helps that you at least have some experience, especially if you're applying to a smaller paper where knowing how to cover high schools and youth or recreation sports is helpful.

3. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

send out the stuff you have for jobs you're applying to now, use what you write freelancing for any jobs that pop up in the near future

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If you like your sports clips, don't worry much about the dates on them.

5. foamy2001

foamy2001 New Member

Thanks for the quick feedback, everybody.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

it's football season. go string a game or four and make some extra money while you get some updated clips.

Draft saved Draft deleted