1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"I'm Just Here So I Won't Get Fined Boss"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 27, 2015.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I'd love to find video of him speaking at the combine. He was one of the better interviews there. Well-spoken, funny, engaging.

If he doesn't want to talk because he feels like the media screwed him over, that's fine. But they portray it like he's Ricky Williams and afraid to talk which is complete bullshit.

He'll probably wind up on TV after he retires. People forget what insufferable dicks Mark Schlereth and Sterling Sharpe were to the media when they played.

2. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I agree with you. I can't believe I just typed that. :eek:
    Could the Seahawks have worked out a deal where Lynch came out, delivered a short prepared statement and then exited stage left? Or is the NFL ironclad on having to appear for a minimum amount of time?

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I like Lynch and his act doesn't bother me much, but it would have been funny if the media could have orchestrated a boycott of his podium during media day. Just have one camera video tape him for 15 minutes while he sits uncomfortably alone and the media throng gathers around Max Unger.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Nah. I'd talk to him.

Why? As Will Hunting said:

"Because fuck him. That's why."

RecoveringJournalist likes this.
  5. There was a period of time when the whole Broncos offensive line refused to talk to the media and nobody made a thing out of it.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Then how do you know about it?

Do you mean the NFL?

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I do admit, I like his statement because of it's honesty.

I mean, how many of us would like to tell our bosses that we're only doing something for the paycheck?

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If players were smart, they would show some personality, smile and be nice to babies.

If people like you, your career lasts longer and your opportunities for endorsements are much greater.

Ernie Banks was a great, great player, but he was Mr. Cub for life because of his personality.

Peyton Manning can do whatever he wants when he career is over because he acts like a nice guy.

NFL careers can be short, millions can go fast. If you want to be a dick about it, that's your call.

old_tony and SnarkShark like this.
  9. RecoveringJournalist

Nobody made a thing out of it? The Broncos has a deal where every time a lineman was mentioned by name in the paper, they were fined $25. IIRC, one Denver columnist wrote the name of one of the linemen 20+ times in a column just to piss the player off after he had told to fuck off over an interview.

The linemen not talking was a huge deal at both Super Bowls. It just doesn't seem like it was as big of a deal because things have changed so much between 1998 and today.

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

But is Albert Belle?

11. RecoveringJournalist

Yeah, funny how nobody is doing a "Where are they now?" story about him.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

This totally nails it. Lynch is the kind of guy who's going to blow through his playing money and when he's of no use on the field, no one is going to want to hire him off the field. Why would anyone seriously consider him for some kind of announcing job or an assistant coach job? Poetic justice would be if he tries to get some kind of TV or radio job in the future and the guy making the decision was a reporter he blew off back in the day.

Draft saved Draft deleted