1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm John L. Smith, bitch!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NDub, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

John L. Smith's failures at Michigan State are an example of the Peter Principle in action. Great coach in the Big Sky and Big West. Really good coach in Conference USA ... and as a Big Ten coach he just got beat by Illinois and has pissed down his leg at every opportunity. As for his personality, it's the same as anyplace else -- when you win, you're quirky; when you lose, you're crazy and (eventually) unemployed. He's gonna have to rally big to keep his job.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

JLS is damn close to it right now, and I second Hack's take on it. It was as embarassing and unconfortable to watch him on the UL sidelines after word spread that he took the job. Let's not forget that Petrino was being courted to Auburn, while Tuberville was getting ready to coach against "Bama. Tuberville found out from the reporters and he wasn't pleased. By whipping Alabama, he made the Auburn president, AD, and Petrino look bad with egg on their face.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Changed to reflect proper tense. It's a done deal at this point. Ohio State and Michigan, when they come to East Lansing, will find only a pile of ashes to piss on.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ya think?

5. Jinga_Thomson

Jinga_Thomson Member

But given his track record at Louisville and at previous stops, one would have thought his time at MSU would have been a little more decorated by now.

He arrived at East Lansing with a 110-60 career record. He has since gone 21-20 with the Spartans. This week's game is a pretty important one, nice guy or not.

6. bigugly

bigugly Member

I was there and it wasn't pretty. He was mocking Charlie. What was even more absurd was when he said: "I have no answers." Bobby Williams said something awfully close to that and got fired.

7. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Seems to me like he wants to go. He has never lost like this before and he's not the kind of guy who will take it for very long. He takes every loss too hard. I know mid-year firings seldom happen in college football, but if John L. continues to act like he has been, could he be shown the door before the season's out?

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, Bobby Williams is a Negro, so his leash was a lot, lot shorter.

That said, he achieved such transcendent disaster, it wouldn't have mattered WHAT color he was, he was a goner.

Just as it won't for Jon-El, two weeks from today, when he's coming off back-to-back 50-point ass-nukings by U-M and OSU.

9. Jinga_Thomson

Jinga_Thomson Member

Yipes. Will he have to eat at the Gainesville What-A-Burger like I did the last time that happened to me?

Draft saved Draft deleted