1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm John L. Smith, bitch!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NDub, Oct 1, 2006.

1. NDub

NDub Guest

I was pretty drunk while watching this last night, so I hope I get it right.

Did anyone see JLS slap himself in the face during his post-game press conference yesterday?

I think he was mocking Fat Charlie when he said he got hit in the face last week during a brawl on the sidelines in the ND-MSU game.

2. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

For those that missed it, look to your left.

3. Jinga_Thomson

Jinga_Thomson Member

Apparently, smacking himself is a new thing. Smacking others, I'm told, is not. That includes players and even reporters. Yipes...to be back in East Lansing.

4. Well, that looks nuts, doesn't it?

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Weis got hit by one of his own fat rolls.

And if this season gets any worse for JLS he might need to be on 24 hour watch.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

7. Jinga_Thomson

Jinga_Thomson Member

If he's not measuring teaspoons of arsenic after losing to the Zooker, I'm not sure what else would push him over the edge. Michigan this weekend (at the Big House, mind you) ain't gonna help matters.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Oh my God, I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to hear this week's rant on Detroit radio.

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

John L. Smith is having a long overdue meeting with karma.

In taking the Louisville job, he refuses to make a clean break from the Utah State program prior the Humaitarian Bowl, in which the Aggies get stomped by Cincinnati.

Of course, we all remember how most Louisville players found out Smith was taking the Michigan State job. They found out on the sidelines during the GMAC Bowl. Then Smith has the gaul to say complain about Louisville fans and the program.

He's getting just what he deserves.

11. busuncle

busuncle Member

Oh, please. Loyalty, shmoyalty. Virtually every coach gets fired eventually. The smart ones leave for better places while they still can. So what if he didn't give enough hugs and kisses on the way out.

John L. Smith is one of the quirkiest, most original coaches in football and he's fairly media-friendly to boot. Yes, MSU is crashing and burning, but it's not even close to the disaster that was the Bobby Williams era.

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Maybe he did leave at the right time (most U of L fans thought that at the time anyway), but the way he went about it was poor. Yeah, coaches get fired, but he could have waited a day or two after the bowl to announce he was going to East Lansing. He also didn't have to say that Louisville was never going to compete for a national title or that fans there were being unrealistic.

Yeah, John L. has his quirks. Louisville fans liked him for that. They liked his running with the bulls in Pampolna. They liked his mountain climbing. They liked his lust for living life to the fullest.

What they didn't like and what they grew tired of was the undisciplined style in which his teams played. You almost always expected a penalty on every play.

John L. Smith brought the Cardinals out of the doldrums and back to respectability, but he plateaued. He probably realized that more than anyone else and that's why he left. No Louisville fan I know had a problem with John L. Smith leaving the program. They were just upset at how he handled it and how he treated the program afterward.

He didn't have to kiss ass or feign gratitude, but he didn't have to make the disparaging comments that now make him seem like a fool.

Draft saved Draft deleted