1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm hired!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by joe, Nov 21, 2011.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Awesome. Sounds like they made a good hire.

2. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Score one for the good guys.

3. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

Congrats Joe!

4. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Great news Joe! The university environment is a great one.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm going to cut-and-paste this anytime anyone anywhere says that job hunting is just a matter of looking and trying to find one.

Congrats to you and your family.

6. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Congrats, Joe.

I recently entered the world of academia with a college and at first I did not know what to think. However, I find now that I thoroughly enjoy being a part of higher education, even though my role does not directly impact the students' learning. I hope the field ends up being rewarding for you.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Really happy for you, Joe!

8. hmxbrown

hmxbrown New Member

Congratulations. The world is changing, and so are you. All the best.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Joe. Glad to hear some good news from one of our own in this economy.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Wow, you too?

Way to go Joe, go work your ass off.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Joe! I'm so glad to hear that you're finally getting ready to work full-time again.

As many people on this board know, your story is very similar in some ways to my own. Of course, add a pinch of employer contesting my unemployment benefits and having to appeal in front of a hearing examiner here, some temp work and sports officiating there, food stamps here and a full-time position that proved to be a mirage there and you have my story.

My road from being given the axe in November 2008 and my getting hired at my current company nearly two years later also felt like a never-ending journey when I was going through it. I had many days when I wondered if I would ever work again or if I were destined to be a ward of my parents for the rest of my life.

I didn't stay in journalism. I didn't even stay in a writing-related field. I work for a bank's call center now. But I've felt as though I've gotten rewarded for the hard work I put into it. I've mentioned before that I got promoted. I received the e-mail notifying me of the promotion less than nine months after I started. I have people who've worked for the company longer than I have asking me how to do things. It definitely feels like I'm living in some kind of bizarro world compared to what so many of us are used to in journalism.

If I have any suggestion for you for the days between your getting the job offer and your actual first day at work, they include setting your alarm clock and start adjusting to your new schedule, start driving the route to work or taking public transit (whichever you see yourself doing) once or twice around the time you're going to be going in so you can have some idea of how long you're going to need to get to work, and learning as much as you can about the company that will now be calling you their employee.

All of those things helped me immensely before I started at my company. Is my job or my company perfect? No. No one's is. But like any relationship, there's no perfect employer and there's no perfect employee. Sometimes, however, a job or a career is perfect for someone and an employee is the right fit for some company.

Best of luck, man!

12. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

The American Dream

Draft saved Draft deleted