1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm hired!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by joe, Nov 21, 2011.

1. joe

joe Active Member

Three and a half years (minus one day; yeah, I figured it out) since I last had a full-time job, I got hired with the local big university. One day after my second interview for it, they called and offered. I start Dec. 1.

It's odd, though. I'm, of course, extremely happy that I finally have a job. But I keep feeling like I should be more excited instead of ... well, I don't know what. It's a great thing for my family, but my identity has been unemployed for so long that it's taking some getting used to. Miss L wonders what she's going to worry about now.

Last year, I told Miss L that this would be our year, but, damn, it was getting down to the nub. It has been so long, there were many times when I got discouraged — depressed even, and not just a little depressed. Like, the whole day or week or month depressed. Like, the couch was my friend. It's an emasculating thing to try and try and try, to find jobs that seem perfectly suited for you, and wind up empty. Losing your confidence can be crushing — was crushing.

During those three and a half years, I worked a variety of jobs: essay scorer for Pearson Education; online editor for Demand Media; assistant crew leader for the Census; freelance magazine writer. And I've been taking classes toward getting my graduate certificate in grant writing.

This year, I had two interviews in the same week, and I thought I had a good chance at both. For one, I was told that it was the hardest decision the department head ever had to make, and that if something comes up in the future, I'll be the first person he thinks of. That's nice, but it doesn't put food on the table. For the other, my lack of actual teaching experience might have been the deciding factor. After being shot down for those two ... well, it wasn't easy.

In the last three months, I had applied with big university for 14 jobs, from food service worker in the dorms to SID point person/writer for men's basketball (position is on hold). Some seemed a better fit than others, obviously, but the job I finally landed seemed especially perfect for my education and experience and skills.

I'm a newspaper expat, and damn glad of it. I've read the threads about another round of layoffs, of furloughs, of experienced, institutional knowledge reporters getting replaced by kids two years out of school, of Lean Dean and the Rocky Mountain News and the thousands of others who have lost their jobs. I've also read about those who found life after newspapers. And now I'm one of them, one of you.

Miss L and I got engaged last Christmas. Our daughter just turned 3. But I couldn't in good conscience actually get married until I landed a full-time job. We're hoping that a spring date where we want the ceremony works out.

I've finally come out of the darkness. The light never seemed so bright.

Joe

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Darling,

I could not be happier for you. May things continue on this upward trend, as you deserve every goddamn bit of it.

IJAG

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Congratulations, joe.

Glad to see things are looking up for you.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Congratulations!

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Awe. some.

So glad to hear the news.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice to know there's hope... congrats and find me another Lucy's shirt! ;)

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Congratulations!

8. Colton

Colton Active Member

Way to go, Joe!

Congrats.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

You're h...

Oh, wait a minute. This time, someone really was!

Congratulations... may the best of times be truly ahead for you!

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Congrats! Best wishes in your new endeavor.

11. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

Congrats! I'm happy for you and your family.

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Congrats, I hope this truly is your year.

Draft saved Draft deleted