1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm done writing tab stories! YAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pressboxer, Aug 8, 2008.

1. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Separate sections for SOCCER? HIGH SCHOOL SOCCER? Damn. I would hope that's crammed full of bigass pictures and schedules and maybe two stories on a four-page tab. Football's one thing. Soccer? Man on man.

I'm sorry about that dude. Jesus.

I bet that full-page cross country deal pleased your NASCAR readers. :)

2. dargan

dargan Active Member

Note to self: Never work in California or Illinois.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

In Texas, only the big schools play soccer, although more middling-size schools are picking it up. All smaller schools have to play up to Class 4A in soccer, but maybe by 2010 there will be a 3A soccer division if enough schools push the UIL for it.

I don't know of any soccer-playing UIL (public) school that doesn't also play football, but then again, their seasons don't overlap. I do know for a fact that TAPPS sanctions soccer in all its classifications.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Soccer preview section? Good grief, Charlie Brown! In my last job, we had two preview sections a year when I left --- high school football and a four-page wrap for the local NAIA football team. When I started there, we had preseason and pre-postseason high school basketball tabs but "the ad department couldn't sell them" (in Kentucky?!?) so they got whacked.

5. dargan

dargan Active Member

Those districts with six 4As and two 3As aren't too kind on the 3As, either.

I've always wondered why there are 3A schools in Texas without football? I know there aren't many at all, but I can think of a couple. Always been curious about that.

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Hate to tell you a-holes, but in my home state, hs soccer is definitely on a par with hs football these days. Go cry a river. Jeebus.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Tabs suck.

I nearly had a coronary yesterday when a head hancho informed me that the deadline for the tab has been moved up a week and a half to accommodate an off site press run. I immediately told them you can forget about it being finished and they relented out of fear of a clusterfuck.

The deadline is now where it should have been in the first place.

8. dargan

dargan Active Member

I'm truly sorry.

9. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Let's see, I can begin eliminating places you may live...

Georgia, Florida, Alabama..well skip all that - the Deep South, Texas, Nevada, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kansas, the Big 10 Midwest, the Carolinas...

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I'm perfectly happy with the situation, but thanks.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The only 3A schools that don't play football according to the UIL are Lufkin Hudson, Pollok Central and San Antonio Hawkins (come to think of it, Hudson does in fact play soccer. So there's one school that plays soccer but not football.) Presidio used to be among these schools, but has dropped to 2A.

Also, the vast majority of 2A's are now playing football. Even good ol' Krum and Ponder will begin varsity play in 2010. I counted 16 schools out of about 220 or so in 2A who are basketball only. About half are charter schools, and then there are the uppity ones like Brock and Peaster who are almost militant about their cage programs.

12. dargan

dargan Active Member

Hudson and Pollok Central were the ones I had in mind. And you're right, Peaster doesn't play around in basketball.

Draft saved Draft deleted