1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm done writing tab stories! YAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pressboxer, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I understand football being bigger than soccer in your area but that's not the case everywhere.

I'm just sick of the knee-jerk reactions of "soccer is bad" and "if girls are playing a sport, it's torture to watch."

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Fuck tabs.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'll take football and even basketball over spring sports in a heartbeat.

Football games are once a week, volleyball is easy to cover, and we get e-mailed XC results in the fall. Basketball and soccer are the only things going for the whole month of January locally (powerlifting doesn't count).

But in the spring, it's balls-to-the-wall starting with National Signing Day and continuing all the way until the last baseball or softball team is ousted in the playoffs.

You have basketball playoffs in February, then in March, you get soccer playoffs and softball and baseball tournaments where teams could play six games in a weekend. You get settled into a Tuesday-Friday routine for a few weeks, then you get hit with district golf and tennis tournaments, and district track is right behind that. Invariably, we have teams go to region and state in all those sports.

Fall rules and spring drools. (Note lack of smiley.)

4. dargan

dargan Active Member

If I'm doing game coverage, I'd rather watch a softball game than baseball. Prep baseball is basically T-ball on a bigger field. My disbelief wasn't that spnited had to put out a girls soccer tab, but that the boys and girls soccer tabs weren't incorporated into one tab. A separate tab for each?

I'm curious, though. Where would soccer be a bigger deal than football?

5. Football_Bat

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. dargan

dargan Active Member

Football_Bat, you cut to the core of me.

7. dargan

dargan Active Member

That's what I figured.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Football_Bat

If you're talking U.S., though, there would be very few places. Research Triangle, maybe? Perhaps the Rio Grande Valley, but football is still very popular there, even though the teams there mostly suck.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Soccer will be big at schools that don't have the enrollment/money to support football, if both are fall sports in the state. I've also heard rumors of East Coast areas where soccer is the big sport played under the lights on Fridays.

Different things are big in different areas. West Texas? Of course you're doing a football tab. Washington? Of course you're doing a wrestling tab. SoCal? Of course you're giving water polo a lot of play. Maryland? Ditto lacrosse.

10. dargan

dargan Active Member

The Valley sucks, indeed.

They have high school water polo in Cali? That's frightening.

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Why is it frightening? They have high school badminton in Illinois.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The bigger the paper, the less people care about soccer. Boys and girls both.

Draft saved Draft deleted