1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm Done With Starbucks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Nov 30, 2006.

1. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

I buy Starbucks coffee by the bag - $10.29, and an unwritten promo that you get a free cup of joe with any purchase of a pound of beans. Mmmm. If I splurge, it's on a peppermint mocha in the winter or a green tea frappucino in the summer.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

All I know is, I used to work around the corner from a Starbucks who had this MILF barista that was so friendly it wouldn't have mattered if she had poured windex instead of my grande vanilla latte. Probably best that I don't get over there any more.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I've never seen a MILF work there. I've seen lots in the 18-30 age group, and I've seen plenty of MILFs drinking there. But no MILF baristas. Odd.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Instead of Starbucks, try this:

[​IMG]

Besides their unbearable pretentiousness, (barista? please), the coffee at Starbucks always tastes slightly burnt--like the beans have been roasted too long.

Buying coffee at Starbucks doesn't make you smarter or more hip. It just makes you a rube for buying into their "lifestyle".

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Amen, brother... amen

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

let me add a ringing endorsement to "dunkin' donuts" coffee. it's tremendous and a bargain compared to the starbucks ripoff.

buy the grounded beans -- the french vanilla and cinammon flavs are great -- to make the kitchen smell great as it's brewing.

7. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

I visit them semi-regularly when I'm on the road, that's usually where I write my follow-up stories, but I never drink coffee when I'm home.

The iced lemon cake is outstanding.

8. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I worked with a photographer who dressed like a bum, never shaved, had the messiest car in the lot and then had the nerve to refuse to go "slumming" when I'd offer to drive us and another reporter to Tim Hortons rather than Starbucks on a break.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You actually took the time to form an opinion on this?

I don't know one person who goes to Starbucks to feel smarter or hip. People go to Starbucks because there's one every 75 feet (sorry, I don't know what that is in metres), and you don't have to clean the coffee pot at home. Sometimes they sell good cookies and cds. You get your coffee and you move on with your day.

It's not a societal issue or a test of one's character....it's freakin coffee.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

And in my experience, the people who make it a societal issue are those who think their local coffee shop feeds their inner populist anti-big business revolutionary. Again, it's coffee. I don't think people think I'm cooler (or cool, or tolerable) because I go to Starbucks, and I know espresso drinks don't have that power. I go to Starbucks because I like their coffee, I like their blueberry muffins and apple raisin fritters, I like their jazz in the background and I like the females that frequent it. Deny me not those rare pleasures in the empty husk of my existence.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If you want to make it a societal issue then make them brew fair trade coffee.

You can get their music anywhere - xm ch 75

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I just think it's yuppie/trendy/pretentious... but far be it from me to paint with a broad brush...

Draft saved Draft deleted