1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'I'm done making my kid's childhood magical'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

More liberal parenting guilt, this time from the Huffington Post.

Captures the pitfalls of modern "America Beauty"-land parenthood pretty well, though, I think:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bunmi-laditan/im-done-making-my-kids-childhood-magical_b_5062838.html

I don't believe for a moment that mothers today love their kids any more than our great-grandmothers loved theirs. We just feel compelled to prove it through ridiculously expensive themed birthday parties that have do-it-yourself cupcake stations with 18 types of toppings and over-the-top gifts.

For a few years, I got caught up in the "Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better" parenting model, which mandates you scour Pinterest for the best ideas, execute them flawlessly, and then share the photo evidence with strangers and friends via blogs and Facebook posts.

Suddenly, it came to me: We do not need to make our children's childhood magical. Childhood is inherently magical, even when it isn't perfect.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Common Sense 101.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I remember when we done got our azz whipped for being a bad boy.
    Taught Fart discipline and self-reliance. My Marine father did not suffer fools happily.
    None of this here's-your-tofu-dessert-son-now-don't-do-it-again crap.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Translation: My childhood was shitty so yours will be too...

It never ceases to amaze me how many people subscribe to that way of thinking...

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Or, "We didn't have [insert technology advance here] when I was a kid and I survived, therefore [insert technology advance here] is useless."

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

My overarching parenting philosophy is low expectations.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I lost my internal bet, because I definitely had you as the first person to reply with some form of, "Sorry, but Elf on the Shelf and themed birthday parties are kick-ass!" :)

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

My parents didn't give a shit other than maybe my bar mitzvah, but that was my mom's doing. Fawned over and made to feel ooey-gooey special I was not.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

My mother doted heavily on me. Still does.
    She had a few problems with my sisters, but I was the apple of her eye.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

My parents were great. They loved us and provided what ever they could for us.

But, there were six of us, so they couldn't smother any of us.

Today, families with the most money, have the fewest number of kids. They can and do smother them.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I want my son to know how much he's loved. That's not a bad thing.

Show me the person who, on his/her deathbed, says, "I wish I showed my kids less love."

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I moved out when I was 17. I'm 42. In those 25 years my dad has called me zero times just to say hi.

Draft saved Draft deleted