1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm desperate! I need the help of SJ.com!!!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by XXXX, Dec 10, 2006.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Count me among those who have no patience for people who can't differentiate between "its" and "it's", "there" and "they're", "yours" and "your's".

That's about as elementary as you get. You can get THAT right.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Elementary is too kind.

What I'd really like to see is one of these kids parse a sentence.

3. XXXX

XXXX Member

okay, if you read the first post all i asked was if anyone had read the book, or knew a website that had summaries of the book. i never asked you to do my homework. IT'S a little presumptuous to think that i don't work, don't have to pay for the same things you had to pay for, and party all the time. take your self serving bullshit somewhere else.

4. unwitty

unwitty Member

I think it should be said....

I told you so.

That's the future of America. Congrats.

5. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

Dear XXXX,

I am a curmudgeon.

Get over it, and don't whine. You are blessed with an opportunity to which not everyone has access. Once you leave the noble chapel of higher learning, you will find out no one cares. All that matters is what you have done for me today.

Be prepared, child. It is an utterly heartless world out there.

Consider this gathering around the virtual bar as your first taste of "why should we care?"

6. devils_claw

devils_claw Member

Me too.

And XXXX, for whatever it's worth, all you did was cheat yourself with this one. I wasn't perfect while I was in school; I slacked off, I wrote papers when I had only read half the book...and I learned that while you might be able to get away with it, you're missing out on some valuable stuff.

I've read <i>Smashed</i>. It isn't exactly Charles Dickens. I thought it was an easy, entertaining read, and it made me think about the culture at colleges today. Maybe that's because I am female and could relate to what the author was saying. An earlier poster found it to be a waste of time.

But both of us read it.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that I wish I hadn't fooled myself into thinking I didn't need whatever the assignment was. Everything you do--in college, in life, wherever--makes you a more well-rounded person. Don't miss out on that.

ok, </end rant>

7. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Good God, the self-righteousness oozing from this thread is a little much.

I love that everyone has felt the need to toss out the "I worked my ass off in college" line.

Yeah, I'm sure all 30 of you were knocking out 20 hours a semester, working 40 a week, sleeping 10 and studying like you were preparing for a Supreme Court appeal the rest of the time. Just stop.

Everybody here did the exact same shit as this guy at least once, and every damn one of you know it. Hell, I did it once a semester.

Please stop giving the "back in my day" replies. Poke a little fun if you like -- it seems as though XXXX more than expected that -- and move on. For the love of God, the kid didn't read Smashed. I wish I could say the same.

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Just because you did it doesn't mean everyone else did. Some of us took it seriously - to this point where you might consider too seriously. That debate is subjective, but your college actions do not speak for mine.

I had the first reply on this post: start reading the book. Instead of asking others to find shortcuts, do your homework.

The whiny "I'm a slow reader" bullshit doesn't work in the adult world. You have an assignment, you find a way to get it done. Instead of reacting like an adult, XXXX continued to log on all night long in hopes someone had offered up the answers.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm just waiting for Hondo to pounce on the kid. That won't be pretty.

Good thing XXXX doesn't run a restaurant.

"I'm sorry, sir, but your steak won't be ready until tomorrow. My cow died and I won't get a new one until later today"

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I drank my ass off in college and had to pull stunts like this.

Of course, then I hunkered down and read the book.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

12. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Really? You took college so serious that you never once did a little too much partying and found yourself in this position?

If so, I think that's a bigger problem than the one XXXX had. He just pissed around and let a paper slip up on him. You pissed around and let four years of good times go by.

And by the way, telling this guy that this shit won't cut it in the adult world sort of proves a big point -- he's not in the adult world yet. He's still in college. And if the worst he ever screws up in college is this, I'd say he's doing OK.

Draft saved Draft deleted