1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm coming out...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Det. Jimmy McNulty, Apr 11, 2010.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Sometimes we just mock what deserves mocking.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This could work out well.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I guess I have shitty taste, too.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Aww man, I thought the detective was going to reveal he was Anna Paquin.
    Durn.

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Back in the High Life was a good album.
    Not as good as Low Spark, not as good as Gimme Some Lovin, but it's better than anything Bruce did 20 years after Darkness On The Edge Of Town.

6. I think Steve Winwood's best of album, whatever it's called, and Phil Collins' "What Hits?" are my two guilty pleasures.

I'm in my mid-20s, so I definitely feel guilty about it.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Big Winwood fan here. Love Back In The High Life, some great stuff on there. "Higher Love" still sounds terrific. For me, it was great hearing Winwood singing with a band again after Arc Of A Diver (a tremendous album) and Talking Back To The Night which were one-man efforts.

Winwood's live album with Clapton kicks some major ass too.

8. Petrie

Petrie Guest

This. "Call On Me" is awesome. [/24yearoldwholikeswomeninspandex]

9. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Same here.

I play Higher Love (the extended version) all the time.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I saw them together at the Crossroads Guitar Festival in 2007 and on their tour together last summer.

Loved both shows and am going back to Crossroads this summer.

Take a look at the set lists:

http://www.amazon.com/Live-Madison-Square-Garden-Clapton/dp/B001V7YWTQ

http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.com/turn_it_up/2009/06/concert-review-eric-clapton-steve-winwood-and-buddy-guy-at-united-center.html

"Higher Love" and "Back in the High Life" are fine pop songs, but Winwood's catalog contains twenty or more better songs.

He's publicly criticized that portion of his career.

I can't wait for this summer's show & I don't expect to here anything from this album.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Judging from whom I assume the poster to be based on some patterns ...

I assumed the lion sleeps tonight no more.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

True story:

Years ago, my sister lived in NYC and her friend from Nashville came to visit. They were in a restaurant for lunch and they see this guy and my loud-mouthed sister says in her Tennessee twang, "I think that's Steve Windwood." Well, he heard her, invited them over, and sure enough, it was. Anyway, it was love at first sight, for Steve and my sister's friend.

Her name is Gena and they are now married, and have been for I suppose about 25 years. She's also in several of his videos. They split time between Nashville and a huge farm in England, and I got to take Steve and his guitar-playing sideman whose name escapes me to the UT-Vandy game in 1985...which was before said album mentioned above, so none of my friends gave a shit. Oh well.

Draft saved Draft deleted