1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm coming out...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Det. Jimmy McNulty, Apr 11, 2010.

1. I still love this album.

[​IMG]

People give me strange looks when I mention this album. "So, McNulty. Heard the new Vampire Weekend album?" "Nah, been listening to Steve Winwood's 'Back in the High Life.'"

There are three people in the world who I wish I was born with similar pipes:

Ed Vedder
    Steve Winwood
    Spencer Krug from Wolf Parade

Winwood's voice is absolutely timeless. Sure, BITHL was your stereotypical 80's synth pop album, a total adult contemporary favorite. I remember hating this album when I was younger because my parents used to play it so often. But it's so fucking GOOD! Can't even consider it a guilty pleasure. The pleasure is all mine. I love the African influence and I've always been a sucker for synthesizers. Freedom Overspill = awesome. Finer Things? All-time epic Winwood classic. Higher Love? Fuck yeah. Even the title track is good. "All the doors I've closed one time have opened up again." Totally inspirational. Pat Bateman could have substituted BITHL for Phil Collins' "Sussudio" and it would have been just as funny.

Sure, it's not as compelling as his earlier work or his Traffic stuff, but it's still great on its own merits. I just might be the only 28 year old in Washington who has been listening to Back in the High Life. Rack me.

2. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Is the name Patrick Bateman on your business card?

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Steve Winwood doesn't even like that album.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm sensing the low spark of high-heeled boys.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

No one in the band ever matched the material of Blind Faith by themselves.

6. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Good coloring.

That's 'bone'

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

These two things made me laugh very loudly.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

More or less than, "Prancing? Fuck yes!"

9. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

My dad loves this album. My dad has shitty taste.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

I liked the remix of "Valerie" off his next album better.

When he and a DJ named Eric Prydz re-recorded it as "Call On Me" about five or six years ago, and I saw the video, I just about shit. It was like "hominahominahomina."

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Who else thought something completely different when clicking on this thread title?

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Raises hand.

Draft saved Draft deleted