1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm a fan of -- gasp! -- a reality show

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SF_Express, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

el Bulli's website is a real head-spinner. I don't think I'm going to be able to eat desserts made with liquid hydrogen or nitrogen at the O'Charley's any time soon.

2. accguy

accguy Member

I liked the line last year on Top Chef where the dude said: "I'm not your bitch, bitch."

That was classic.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

There's crazy shit about El Bulli all over the web. Here's a message board of people who have gone there, with pictures:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=88797

I guess with wine, it's about 200 Euros a head.

4. GimpyScribe

GimpyScribe Member

Oman, I DESPISED Tiffani (I believe that was her name ... the redhead). The guy that told her that was hilarious. He'd just start openly weeping at the drop of a hat. I almost broke a rib from laughing at him a few times.
    Like most everyone who has posted, I love this show. I was a fan of Harold from the beginning last season and was glad he won. This season, Sam has always seemed like the coolest guy in the room, so I've been pulling for him or Cliff (I was dying to try his fish sticks/mac and cheese dish he made at the fire station).
    Oh, and Marcel saying "stoked" and "brah" was painful, yet funny. I wanna kick that little Wolverine-haircut a-hole in the teeth. Phony little bastard.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

When do I set my VCR?

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Your what?

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Hellooooo, Betty.
    She looks like Sam Kinison in the kitchen. She looks quite glam in the interviews.
    And how has Frat Boy stayed in the game as long as he has?

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Crossthread joke, IJAG.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Ah. It's what I get for selectively reading threads.

Carry on!

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Over the last four episodes, in order: He latched onto Ilan for the paella in the Service/"awakening trio" debacle episode, became Bourdain's pet whipping boy, managed to bum enough eggs from his homies to get a decent batch of breakfast tacos going and did a decent steak/lobster thing while fading into the background as the rest of his team was fucking the dog. I can't see him dancing between the raindrops much longer, especially since now we're into the part of the season where everyone kicks ass. I'd be shocked if he gets out of the first episode on 2007 with his knives intact, unless somene steals another case of lychees or Marcel slips crack in Betty's creme brulee.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yes, he has definitely been living on borrowed time.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Bumped for this week's episode (SPOILER ALERT)

So apparently the frat boy was hiding a gourmet chef within all this time. Apparently salmon and a pulled wisdom tooth agree with him. Mikey's certainly hitting the fifth gear at the right time.

The Marcel vs. the world angle is getting contrived. That's probably the main reason he ever made the show, because he's confrontation in a can. But past any of his blowups with Sam/Ilan/Betty is how he so obviously exposed himself as a poseur with not one but TWO foam dishes (I remember him doing four from the Thanksgiving episode on). It was almost as though one of the producers got in his ear and said "we want to make a big deal over the foams for this episode, make sure to lather it up good."

Once Michael was established as safe with his salmon/trout dish, it was pretty obvious that Betty was going next. The moment I heard "trio of soups" I knew she was packing up her knives. She was underperforming compared to the pack anyway; she was gone sooner rather than later. Not exactly going to miss her.

So we're down to six and I believe three episodes left. My projected elimination list, in reverse order: Michael --> Marcel --> Elia --> Cliff --> Ilan. Winner: Sam. I'd be stunned if someone other than Sam, Ilan or Cliff win.

Draft saved Draft deleted