1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm a fan of -- gasp! -- a reality show

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SF_Express, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Not sure Dale wasn't the best at the end, but what decided it was that Hung was better throughout. Dale won the final four and wowed the judges with the food in the finale, but that was it.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I'm sad for Dale. But by the end, against my will, I was kind of pulling for Hung. Stockholm? Who knows. But I was kind of happy.

And he broke out foam in the finale. :D

3. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Casey just signed a movie deal: It's called "Get on top, chef," and will be on Cinemax by Christmas.

4. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

I'm glad that Hung won -- he was obviously the best chef. It would have been closer if Dale hadn't ruined the lobster dish.

Casey's complete breakdown during the last two challenges was really something. She was the favorite heading into the finale but gave the worst performance by far both times (in the last challenge, she was clearly worse than Brian but he lost due to her past track record).

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I know everyone had to deal with the same issues it presented, but if you want the perfect meal, shouldn't you hold the final in a place where altitude doesn't change the way you cook?

And what exactly was the point of adding the fourth dish with an hour to go? Leave the gimmicky shit for the early challenges.

Idea for a between-season special: Four teams of three: winners, runners-up, top semifinalists and top guys to not reach the top 4. Because I could do some business with a Tre-CJ-Cliff trio.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Question: When they asked Dale about his scallop dish and he said it was "100 percent 50-50," ... um, didn't CJ pretty much just handle that one?

7. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

Agreed. Although his answer was better than Casey's answer when they asked her about her beef dish. They were trying to throw her a bone because that was actually good, and she said it was 100% Howie. The Judge visibly cringed at that point.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Fairly predictable ending, but I'll say this: I think all three of those meals would have beaten Ilan or Marcel from last year's final.

So the general level of cooking was higher.

9. clarkington

clarkington Member

Hey Philospher what restaurant is he working at in Chicago? I'd love to go up there!

10. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

Sola ... on Lincoln, near the corner of Lincoln and Irving Park. He was there last Saturday night, and even though he wasn't our waiter, he was happy to come and talk to us once I motioned to him. Basically he spent half the night taking pictures and talking to people ... the owner should pay him real well. I think half of the people there were just there to see him. If you go, try the shortribs.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Caught the finale last night -- some random thoughts:

-- how silly was it that the judges wore the same clothes from the judges tables in order to give the appearance on reruns that it was all done in Aspen.

-- Casey deserved to lose just for how she tried to sell Howie down the river. You weren't even supposed to have a sous chef -- don't blame him if you can't plate your food properly.

-- Lucky that it was a 3 person finale -- otherwise it wouldn't have been close.

-- Dale needs to be less self-critical

-- I liked that Hung won -- he may lack some social skills, but he was consistently the best all season.

12. Mira

Mira Member

This third season of Top Chef was awesome. It made me laugh, smile and yell at the TV. I don't do that very often.

Hung was definitely the best, but it was cool to see Dale improve over time.

Can't wait to see Season Four in Chicago.

Draft saved Draft deleted