1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'll try this again and why on earth isn't it worth discussing?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, May 9, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's fine if you think it's a waste of time and money. I'm guessing you mean because they wouldn't vote GOP. But the message was that Obama wasn't doing any work at all. There were two labels lobbed sarcastically at him throughout the campaign: "Community organizer" and "law professor." For the life of me, I could never figure out what was so shameful about either job. I would be proud to have either one.

2. printdust

printdust New Member

I'd be proud to be a legitimate law professor.....teaching the law and not an agenda.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Weren't you the one complaining because your other thread on this got locked for being political?

4. Dick Whitman

Have you ever read one word about his time at the University of Chicago? Nobody could tell which side of the aisle he was on. Law professors, almost to a man, don't teach "an agenda."

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

6. printdust

printdust New Member

I don't think I said he was teaching an agenda. I was just making a statement of what I'd do.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Obviously, no one at Chicago teaches the primacy of law and economic theory. And if you take ConLaw from Larry Tribe, you will get a down-the-middle "This is what the Supreme Court says and I will never tell you how I really feel."

Just like in undergrad, there are law professors who wear their views on their sleeve and there are ones who play it down the middle and there are ones who play Devils Advocate on every single point their students make and there are ones who have tenure and stopped caring. So to say that all law professors teach the same way is a gross generalization, to say the least.

8. Dick Whitman

OK, OK, OK. Point taken. What I meant is that very few of them try to slyly nefariously indoctrinate their students on one way of legal thought while pretending another way doesn't exist. I was wrong to overgeneralize as a reaction to printdust passive-aggressively overgeneralizing.

I think that non-lawyers would be surprised at how non-political a law school classroom can be. That's all. Look at the current First Amendment thread. It is difficult for people to not think from a policy/politics standpoint. Really hard. Law professors - the good ones, at least - beat that out of you.

9. Crash

Crash Active Member

I've never been inside a law school, but I'm always shocked at how many people think college classrooms in general are full of students getting indoctrinated or fed an agenda. I majored in political science, took all sorts of public policy classes, and I don't think I once felt like a professor was trying to make me think one way or the other through their teaching or their opinions. The only two profs I ever talked politics with were both conservative, and I'm quite liberal. My policy profs tended to be more liberal, but even then, they were wonks, not politicos or ideologues.

10. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

There was a guy who grew up two houses away from me and is a year older than I am. He majored in engineering in college and has a really good job. Smart guy. He's an admitted conservative, and that's fine. But once when we both happened to be home visiting family, we had a conversation in which he wondered why my journalism profs were teaching me "how to be liberal" and how to promote that agenda. When I told him that's not what goes on in J-school, he was clearly surprised.

11. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

That's probably because he himself has been so indoctrinated in the fallacy of the "liberal media."

12. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Of course he was. But isn't it odd that he thought that the supposed "liberal media" was taught to be that way in college?

Draft saved Draft deleted