1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'll try this again and why on earth isn't it worth discussing?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, May 9, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Honestly, rising health care costs are the albatross that I think is a big reason that the economy struggles to get back on track. As much as some like to gripe about welfare and entitlement programs, there are no bigger entitlement programs than Medicare and Medicaid. And they just keep growing and growing and growing in relation to the federal budget as a whole. I know this is a very Republican point to make, but nobody has any incentive to not just spend and spend and spend on health care, and so the prices just keep going up and up and up. People want the government to spur job growth, but most of the budget consists of three areas that would be political suicide to cut: Defense, Medicare, Medicaid. (If you want proof, cue up the video of retired folks screaming at politicians last year when they were convinced their health care would be rationed - like it is, by the way, in almost every other Western nation. Example: We are far and away the hip replacement capital of the world.) And we stay in this vicious cycle, with the middle class paying the price.

Obviously this is just part of the problem, but it's a significant part, in my humble opinion.

2. printdust

printdust New Member

Hell most elections are fixed, bought for or eligibility-forged.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Why this thread was shut down before. The back-door birther strikes

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am a proud member of the middle class. Or is the the median or mode class? I can never get those things straight.

But I am sure that I am one of those and am being screwed by someone.

5. printdust

printdust New Member

Ignoring the hint remark that Al Gore might have been right in 2000. Dooley the Dem, picking and choosing his interpretation.......

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The fundamental flaw remains that special interests co-opt elected representatives . . . for the primary benefit of the special interests.

7. Raisin Ham

Raisin Ham Member

I Like Ice Cream

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Sigh.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

But WHY isn't it worth discussing? Why? Why?

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

But not ignoring the false equivalency.

Anyway, back to the middle class. I'm sure this is something that can be fixed with some tax breaks for millionaires.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If you can afford raisin ham, you are middle class

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If you think the middle class started disappearing 10 or 20 years ago, you are about 10 or 20 years late to the game.

When it became cheaper to build a product then move it 10,000 miles than building it in America was the start of our decline.

Is it the Union's fault for these high wages that drive the cost? Yes.
    Is it the GOPers fault for allowing next to no tax rates on goods coming into our county? Yes.

Basically, America is fucked. The question is when it will end and how badly.

In no way shape or form will we be the dominant nation we once were in 100 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted