1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'll send an SOS to the world

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by the fop, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Isn't Paul Rodgers English?

2. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I need to see this, sounds funny as hell.

Sting is a talented, talented guy. Of course, he knows this, too, which can be annoying, but the guy is damn talented. Actor, writer, songwriter, vocalist, musician, composer, theater producer (which didn't go too well, admittedly), the guy's a hell of a talent. I love the guy, love his work, love his mind. And he's still going strong at, what, 53 or so? I hope I have that energy then.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Uh, yes, he is.

Which means the above phrase should be changed to something along the lines of, "Paul Carrack is like Paul Rodgers, but way cooler."

Don't shed a tear for me. :)

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

:D :D

I would most certainly watch that. He was like the David Cone of music...a hired gun who changed teams/bands with incredible regularity but brought home the gold every time. Hit no. 1 with Mike and the Mechanics, hit no. 2 solo, and though "Tempted" somehow didn't chart in the top 40 in America, it's still Squeeze's best known song.

And let me be the third to say "Mother" was one fucked up song.

I'd only go see The Police if Sting sang "We're Sending Our Love Down The Well." :D :D :D

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

bob, where have you been? been pulling a romo these last few months because of stock prices?

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Count me in among those watching. Carrack was good for more than just "Living Years" with Mike and the Mechanics.

7. ARD

ARD Member

From the Philadelphia Inquirer:

Chatter about a Police reunion gained new urgency this weekend when Sting told TV critics at their winter gathering, “It would be nice to do something” with his old bandmates. This is the 30th anniversary of the formation of the band, whose hits include “Roxanne,” “Don’t Stand So Close to Me” and “Message in a Bottle.”
    Until recently, Sting had seemed reluctant to reunite with Stewart Copeland and Andy Summers. “I’m deeply, deeply fond of both of them,” he told the critics after a private performance of songs by the Elizabethan composer John Dowland featuring lute player Erin Karamazov. (He’s a star. He can do what he wants. And he did it well.)
    “I’m very proud of the band that we were in. ... We’re still great friends. ... We are discussing something. Don’t know what, but definitely something,” said Sting, repeating his latest coy come-on. (When will he know the “what” part of the “something”? Who knows?)
    The busy bee dedicated his final encore Saturday — a lute version of “Message in a Bottle” — to Copeland and Summers: “I’m sending out an S.O.S.”

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

The "Ghost in the Machine" album was really cool for me as a 10th-grader.
    Someone here said Copeland was a solid drummer. True.
    Sting's solo stuff is awesome too.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Has anyone read Andy Summers' book? Talk about living the rock and roll life. He's done it.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

FWIW, "The din of our Rice Crispies" has remained as one my favorite phrases throughout my adult life. Some very cool and thought-provoking stuff on that album.

Draft saved Draft deleted