1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ikea Beds

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flying Headbutt, Jun 8, 2008.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Dale City?

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Uma and I visited our local Ikea last weekend just for the sake of visiting it.

my impressions are that the cafeteria has inexpensive food and the kids furniture is cute.

Everything else was torture.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Passed on the bed. And as a rule, I think anyone who sells a mattress is a step below a used car salesman. At least that's been my experience of late. I don't need a new bed THAT bad.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

As said above, I'd NEVER buy a major item from Ikea.

The couches we saw looked like crap. And they were the display models that were supposedly there to intice customers to buy them.

Plates, cups, silverwear, linens ... maybe.

Real furniture? Never. Everything looked like it would be broken in less than a week by my children.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

We have an Ikea about five minutes from our place. If you go in on weekdays during the dinner hour you'll be OK.

We have bookcases, CD stands, a couple of light fixtures and a leather sofa from IKEA. Unless you're going to a furniture store where loveseats start at $5,000, I don't think you can beat their stuff in terms of value. And I say that as someone who also had some of their furniture when my kids were young.

And I also think their design is first rate.

It seems that almost everything in the furniture stores around us is huge overstuffed pieces with huge arms and a million cushions. Godawful

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I remember when that whole thing out there first opened ... and my delight when I eventually realized you could get there through some method other than navigating I-95.

I still am, 20 (!) years later, using towels I bought there, and a shower curtain and a few other things. I buy "good" towels now and they start unraveling after a few launderings.

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I'm not sure where you are, but Nebraska Furniture Mart (there are a few in the Midwest) has some really good deals on beds. Just bought one for myself about a week ago.

9. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Ikea stuff has a lot of range -- some of their stuff is crap, and some is actually quite nice. We have dressers that won't last another move (to be fair, they're seven years old and have gone through four moves) and also have some living room furniture that appears that it will last forever.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Oh God, I do. A queen-size mattress more than a decade old for two people = fail.

Draft saved Draft deleted