1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

IIHF World Hockey Championships

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, May 14, 2010.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Canada's lack of scorers -- aside from Stamkos and Tavares -- is painfully obvious in today's game against Russia.

Canada is also taking too many penalties.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Russia also has 14 of their Olympians playing. They should kick the Canadians ass.

Maybe it says something about the Russian players that there that many available this time of year.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, in fairness, there are a lot of good Canadians -- and Americans and Swedes and Finns -- who are available, too.

Man, I wish the NHL would adopt the larger ice surface.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Why? The European game is awful to watch. Where do you think the trap started?

5. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

The season's too long. No need to play into June. Either play fewer regular-season games, or (preferably) cut the number of playoff teams down to eight. If the season ends in early or mid-May, you'd have time for a legitimate world championship in the late spring.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Why is it too long? What does it hurt? I like hockey. More hockey is better.

7. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Just not a fan of interminable, largely meaningless regular seasons. If mediocre teams like the Bruins, Canadiens and Flyers are going to have the chance to play for the Cup, play 70 games instead of 82 and make the playoffs a bigger percentage of the season. Or play all 82 and give teams more reason to play hard every night by limiting playoff spots to the top eight, rather than 16.

As I said, I'm down on regular seasons right now. Top three seeds in the NHL's East all lose in the first round. The Celtics indisputably tanked the last 50 games of the NBA regular season, then flicked a switch in the playoffs. In the last five years, one Cardinals team went 9-7 and made a Super Bowl; another one went 83-78 and won a World Series. Just doesn't do it for me, that's all.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I'd have no problem with a shorter regular season. The game is played at such a high pace I wouldn't mind seeing less games.

I do have a problem if it's to have a legitimate world championship. Who gives a shit about the world championships. No other sport has best on best every year, why should the NHL care about the IIHF World Championships?

9. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

No, I'd say every fourth year, like basketball and soccer do. Ideally, the NHL and IIHF would get on the same page and merge the World Cup of Hockey into the World Championships. The point is, spring is the best time to have international competition, not in the middle of the season like the Olympics, and not in the preseason like the WCoH or Canada Cup.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Why do you think spring is the best time?

I would think the middle of the season with everybody in top form is the way to go. Spring, a lot guys are completely beat up.

Either way once every 4 years is enough.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm sure the NHL and the owners would think shortening the season or reducing the number of playoff teams to accomodate the fucking IIHF is a swell idea.

Sixteen teams is half the league.
    Eight? You gotta be kidding.

And there hasn't been a World Cup since, when, 1996?

If you don't like interminable regular season games, don't watch.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Just start watching on Game 13. It'll feel like the same thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted