1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ignorant coaches

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beef03, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I know we're not the coaches biggest concern in the world, but the least they could do is follow through on what they say they'll do.
    Been working on setting up a story on one of his players for two days (They are on the other side of the province, freelancing story for a major daily), come in on my day off to try him again this morning, as luck has it I finally get through to him at 10 a.m. They are getting on a bus at 11:30 a.m. for like a five hour bus ride, says he will get the player to phone me from the bus. it is now almost 4:30 p.m. I haven't left my desk, no phone call. His cell phone is turned off, that or he's ignoring me. I'm a little pissed now. Haven't even got up for lunch. haven't eaten all day waiting for this phone call. Have to leave soon. Bastard.

Although my deadline isn't today or tomorrow, it is a holiday weekend up here and they are on a roadtrip all weekend. Would like to get interviews done before Sunday with Thanksgiving on Monday (Doing the family thing Sunday and Monday, and who knows how much more difficult it will be to get a hold of these guys on a holiday). Deadline is Tuesday 9 a.m. I know it's a long ways off, but with the weekend that it is I'm a little worried.

2. sartrean

sartrean Member

Ah, coaches. You gotta love 'em.

And if you miss them during a week they win big, they never fail to let you know you missed it. The fucking bastards.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I guess all it took was for me to bitch about it on an online forum. No less than five minutes after I posted my phone finally rang and it was the player i needed to talk to... Just hope I can figure out what he's saying through his french accent on my recorder, because talking to him, I didn't understand half of what he said.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Could you have a braoder thread topic?:
    People that Breath?
    I Like Sex?
    Food Good, Death Bad?

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Or even people that Breathe, even?

Vent on, Beef. I think most of us have been there. At least the guy finally came through.

6. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

I think you were being overly critical of the coach. You have to realize that team business is more important then a story on one of his kids. Obviously he told the kid that you were interested in writing a story on him because he called later. Maybe, the kid was told to call you but chose to do it later or maybe team business was much more important. Sounds like you have a ego problem to me.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Get lost, turd burglar.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Agreed.

9. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

This just sums up your intelligence. (IE name calling, bashing) I am so glad you could say something with any deal of thought.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I don't think I'd consider a bus ride to be "team business." My guess, other than the coach just forgetting, is that maybe they were out of cell phone range.

I feel your pain, though. I hate those "I'll have X call you" and then you forfeit the rest of your day waiting on the call.

Happy Thanksgiving!

11. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Shut the fuck up. Why are you still here?

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

This from a guy who has demonstrated that his most complex thoughts often center on whether he should get vanilla or chocolate ice cream from the Dairy Queen.

Draft saved Draft deleted