1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ignatius J -- Movie Star

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Finally...
    http://www.slate.com/id/2155500/

Will Ferrell?

2. tommyp

tommyp Member

Do you think Kevin James or Artie Lange could capture the comedic intelligence of Ignatius?

Doubtful.

Even though he's older, I could see Bill Murray in the role, or perhaps Mike Myers in his F_B (Fat Bastard) costume. ;)

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I could give a crap one way or the other about 99.44% of all movies. But so help me if they screw up A Confederacy of Dunces ....

That said, John Goodman?

4. Who plays Burma Jones?
    Chapelle?

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No doubt in my mind that if this gets made, they get it all wrong...

But did you see the part late in that story that said in the early 80s, the first actors attached to the movie were John Belushi as Ignatius and Richard Pryor as Burma Jones? That actually could have worked.

6. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

I think Mos Def will be great, but I don't want to see Ferrell (or anyone else) in a fat suit.

Aren't there any fat actors left who can pull this off?

7. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Send Phillip Seymour Hoffman down to New Orleans two or three months before shooting and tell him to eat an oyster po-boy every day and drink at least a six pack of Abita every evening. Problem solved.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Phillip Seymour Hoffman is a really good thought. I could totally see that working.

9. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

I'll cast another vote for Hoffman. He's already got experience playing fat, weird guys, so just pack on an extra 50-plus pounds.

Jack Black might also be up to the task, but he's not the actor Hoffman is.

10. Turbodog!

11. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

I'll volunteer to help him prepare for the role.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Hoffman would be the best, but Ferrell did say that he was checking in at 245, so it wouldn't take much to hit three bills.
    The device they used in his last movie, the graphic numbers and text that rolled up on the screen would be pretty good in this as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted