1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"If You're old enough to ask for it, you're too old to have it"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Piotr Rasputin, May 10, 2012.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Give those kids a couple of bags of Oreos, and they're set for life.

2. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Holy shit. There is something wrong with this woman, and it has very little to do with breastfeeding. That's just a symptom.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

"Ebony and Ivory, live together in perfect harmony, side by side on my lactating boobies, oh Lord, why don't we??"

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

No more calls please ... WE HAVE A WINNER!

5. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I don't think those camo capris are going to help the kid hide from the relentless teasing of his classmates in a few years.

Also, some interesting feminist blogging out there about how attachment parenting such as this is anti-feminist because it implies that anyone who doesn't devote half a decade to breastfeeding is an inferior mother.

And, personally speaking, yes, this is out of line. But I kind of think that's what the mom is going for. She is hoping to join Jenny McCarthy in the pseudoscience martyr country club.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yep . . . as mentioned on the main S&N thread, they're getting demolished.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

In general, parents are terrible.

8. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Whip out the twins in public. I have no issue with this. Food is food.

Breastfeed your kid until he's 20. I'm not an expert. You apparently are. If your kid ends up hacking his neighbors to bits because he's tweaked, well, then you'll know.

Politicize it only to the point that the no-tittie committee gets over it. Me personally? Tired of hearing about it. Mothers Who Are Thus Experts are at least the 8th worst thing in the world right now.

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

My son turns 2 this week, and I'm still breastfeeding.

The main reason is -- he had some severe food allergies, including cow's milk and egg. Back when I was eating milk/cheese/egg, he was covered in rashes. It got so bad he was getting secondary staph infections from the bloody rashes. He could not sleep. He itched, he cried. When I eliminated dairy/egg from my diet, he cleared right up. His skin is now clear as a bell. And the allergies have improved!

I was also concerned about the lack of calcium/probiotics/nutrients because he could not drink cow's milk. (Initially, he could not tolerate soy, either, so no soy milk.) That pretty much left me with little option but to keep breastfeeding. After he turned one, my philosophy was, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" so I kept going, though I cut back.

Because my son is quite tall (97th percentile for height/weight), Mr. Lugs wandered by the rocking chair the other night and said, "Why is there a small man sucking your breast?"

By the way, the WHO (World Health Organization) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 2 (two) years.

I've almost never breastfed in public because that's who I am... but that's my hangup, and I strongly support people who do.

If I were to breastfeed by son in public, I'd be flogged in the town square.

I beg people to be tolerant of breastfeeding. We're way behind the rest of the world in this regard, and getting worse it seems. (Our math/science/reading scores are also slipping in comparison to the rest of the world... coincidence??)

All that said, if anybody has any tips on weaning a toddler, please send 'em my way.

Yours in Lactation,
    Lugz

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Honestly, I had no idea people gave a shit about breastfeeding one way or another. Suddenly, a whole bunch of people are all butt-hurt about it.

11. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Yes.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Ok.

You seem to be the man with the answers...

Draft saved Draft deleted