1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you voted Republican in either of the last two presidential elections...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Jun 4, 2008.

?

How are you voting this time?

1. McCain

37 vote(s)
    52.1%
  2. Obama

21 vote(s)
    29.6%
  3. Other candidate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Undecided

9 vote(s)
    12.7%
  5. Not voting

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  6. Depends on what Obama does with Hillary

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I'm holding everybody to the honor system. Please don't vote unless you voted for Bush in 2000 and/or 2004.

I don't expect to get a huge number of votes because of the political leanings of this group.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Voted for Bush reluctantly in both elections.

Both choices in this election are better than we had in either of those. I've always been a big McCain fan. I voted for him in the primaries in 2000 and will be ecstatic if he wins.

If Obama wins, I won't have a problem with it either. I'm just glad these primaries shook out the way they did. I think both parties got it right for once...

3. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

You've got to put another category for me: If I vote, I'll probably vote for McCain, but I'm also so pissed right now that I may not vote at all.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Not voting is one of the categories, scribe.

Me -- McCain.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The only way I would consider not voting for McCain is if he picks Huckabee as his running mate.

I think I'm safe there, but you never know...

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Tend to vote Republican in general. Voted Bush in 2000.

Wasn't sold on voting Bush in 2004, but Kerry gave me no reason to vote for him. Constant attack, attack, attack of Bush/Republicans without telling me near enough of what he would do instead. Don't tell me the other team is bad; I get that. Tell me what you plan to do instead. No? Voted Bush almost by default.

Well, then the last four years have been an absolute shambles.

I'm tired of the war and living through this generation's Vietnam.

The economy is a mess, individual net wealth has actually decreased year over year for the first time since the Depression. Not all of the economic issues can be laid at the feet of this administration, but they also don't appear to have a frickin' clue on what to do to alleviate or fix the issues.

The biggest pain point for me is I expect the Republicans to run an efficient, lean, cost effective brand of government, at least historically speaking in comparison to the Democrats. Control spending, reduce deficits. The last 8 years of Elephant Rule have taken a government surplus and turned it into the largest deficit in US history. One that not only I, but also my children, will have to pay for.

And the handling of Katrina was probably the poster child of this administration for me. When the government, with all its resources, couldn't seem to get to where Shepherd Smith and Geraldo Rivera were to rescue people in need, well, that's a traveshamockery if I've ever seen one.

Vote Republican again? No fuckin' way. Time to let someone else give it a try.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Kirk, you're a lot like my dad. Voted for Bush unenthusiastically in '04. The spending bugs him to no end.

But my dad is leaning toward McCain this time. I guess he just doesn't believe the Democrats can keep spending under control.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Voted for Bush twice, largely like Kirk.

I'm a McCain girl. Have been for years.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Not to start anything, but this hasn't been true since 1980.

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I'd like to go back in time and vote for the McCain of old (circa 2000).

It really doesn't matter because, in my state with a lot of military bases and a wide streak of racism, McCain gets the electoral college votes.

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I've always found McCain repulsive, even back in the day when he was riding high on his "moderate" image. If any longtime McCain backers want to explain the appeal, I'd sincerely be interested.

12. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

You could even go back further than that. Nixon was not a fiscal conservative.

Draft saved Draft deleted