1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If You Voted For McCain in '08...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Dec 18, 2011.

?

If you voted for McCain in '08, at this moment, who are you supporting for the GOP nomination?

1. Michelle Bachmann

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. Newt Gingrich

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Ron Paul

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. Rick Perry

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  5. Mitt Romney

12 vote(s)
    26.7%
  6. Other (Please Specify)

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  7. Considering Voting Democrat in the Presidential

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  8. Likely Won't Vote in the Presidential

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  9. Jon Huntsman

9 vote(s)
    20.0%
  10. Rick Santorum

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  1. You'd think, but my family thinks I'm insane. Of course, my dad/grandfather are what I call NTP, or New Tea Party. It's funny, because I thought my dad would for sure survive the Bachmann/Beck onslaught. But alas.

When they both said they liked Rick Santorum, I actually lost control and choked on my drink for a second.

Really, the Republican ticket should be a slam-dunk this year: Romney/Paul

Doesn't seem like a great combo, but think about it: The independent GOP would be fine that someone semi-sane got through the gauntlet, and Romney I still think could take the conservative vote just because no one on that side wants to smell what Barack is cookin' - sorry - for another four years.

And Paul as his VP? It seems like a token choice, but if Romney picks someone like Huntsman or Santorum, you're going to have a LOT of pissed off college kids who will just as happily go back to Barack to stick it to the GOP. Picking Ron Paul makes it look like the kids did something really important and will bring them back in come November.

Old fogey GOP? Check
    College kids? Check
    Libertarians? Not all, but good enough
    Conservatives? By default

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Makes some sense. Although, the conservatives might stay home with a Romney/Paul ticket-- then you're sunk.

Just looking at the latest polling data from Nate Silver's blog..........

It's all Gingrich and Romney with Paul playing the John Edwards role. There ARE some similarities to Obama/Hillary/Edwards of '08.

You know, a brokered convention is not out of the question. :)

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Apparently on Leno Friday night, Paul said that Bachmann "hates Muslims" and that Santorum "hates gays and Muslims."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/17/paul-claims-bachmann-hates-muslims/

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Truth is his best defense.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Honest question to the GOPers here gathered: Are these candidates the best representation of the Republican party for 2012?

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Just watched Romney's interview with Chris Wallace on Fox News Sunday.

I know it doesn't necessarily correlate to governing ability, but he really spoke beautifully about his wife and their relationship. And, maybe it's naive, but it made me like and admire him more.

And, it will appeal to GOP primary voters. He ought to hope a lot of voters in Iowa watched it this morning.

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I mean I would hardly agree with Paul on much, but yeah, he's right on there.

8. YankeeFan

No. But no primary process is.

If we come away with Romney as the nominee, it won't really matter if the other challengers were lesser lights.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Az: is it the best we've got for 2012? Yes. Because everyone was hedging bets for 2016.

Mistakenly, it turns out. But they were.

And god I hate Romney, though I can't really put a finger on why. He's just ... weird.

10. YankeeFan

I read somewhere that David Brooks mentioned the possibility of there still being a late entrant into the race on NPR the other day.

He specifically mentioned Jeb Bush coming in to stop Gingrich, if necessary.

I just don't see it happening.

Every 4 years, we get the "late entrant", "brokered convention", and "election thrown into the House of Representatives when no candidate gets a majority in the Electoral College" stories.

I guess it's always fun to think about, but it's no more likely this year than any previous cycle. On some level, these stories are lazy rehashes.

This is our field. A nominee will be selected through the primary process, and the election will be decided by the electoral college.

And, I'll give odds on that.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Other than Huntsman no. Clearly Romney has not intrigued the masses of GOP voters over the past 4 years or this would be over.

12. YankeeFan

I almost put the "will a third party candidate get into the race, and play the role of spoiler" articles in the same "lazy" category.

But, should America Elect be given any real attention?

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/16/group-clears-path-for-a-third-party-ticket/

They're supposedly going to have ballot access in all 50 states -- no small task -- and hand it over to some undecided candidate.

Draft saved Draft deleted