1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you visit National Parks, you are a bad person

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 6, 2013.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Maybe because their 1% does not grind the other 99% into the ground?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's what it is...

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I used to work for Dutch company that was expanding into Canada. The job included 4 weeks vacation which was paid. On top of that, I was given an extra month's pay at the start of my vacation because there was no point in giving me a vacation if I couldn't afford to do anything. He told me that this was standard.

4. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Well, we all remember it was Teddy Roosevelt who wanted national parks, and he also wanted the government to operate the mines in the "public interest" when the workers went on strike, and by gawd, that's government taking over private enterprise!

So, yeah, blame Teddy.

5. What is it then?

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

So, they don't believe in going Dutch?

For what it is worth, the Dutch economy looks ugly, even by European (and world) standards. Those 4 weeks of manadatory paid leave from work with an allowance equal to 8 percent of your salary is required by law. ... It can't be helping the economy, which is Ugly with a capital U.

Their unemployment rate has been rising dramatically over the last year, and they have seen three periods of contracting GDP of two months or more since the financial crisis. And the country has been in a recession for at least the last year. It also has a huge debt problem -- not just government debt, which is out of control. They are facing a mortgage crisis -- and the the debt to household income ratio for the Dutch maybe the worst in the Western world (the average person owes 250 percent of their income).

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-02/rutte-says-netherlands-in-difficult-times-unemployment-to-rise.html

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100983494

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2013/08/its_official_the_netherlands_h_1.php

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/29/business/netherlands-nation-under-water

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah but if it all goes belly-up, at least they get their sabbaticals in Amsterdam.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Not that.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Is this something we should even worry about?

Some of it is just geography and economics, right?

This National Park and places like Acadia National Park in Maine are far from where large populations of African-Americans and Hispanics live.

While the parks themselves aren't super expensive, you need a car, and the time off to drive there.

10. I can take the bus to the nearest one for a $1.25. As for Ragu's post, you have to read the CNN article to the end.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

What does 4 weeks vacation time have to do with a debt problem that looks to have been caused mostly by a mortgage crisis?

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

When unemployment is spiking and your economy is contracting for a prolonged period of time, a law mandating that to be in business you have to pay people for four weeks not to work is a hindrance to jump starting economic activity.

In the aggregate, is that the reason business in the Netherlands is suffering? There are much bigger reasons. You could make a list of about a zillion factors that have contributed.

Draft saved Draft deleted