1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you had trouble getting a Wii for xmas, here's why

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Some of these players on big-conference teams are responsible for MILLIONS of revenue dollars each year. I don't think anyone should give a shit if they get $850 of stuff for the bowl trip. Yes, they get a FREE college education and the experience of a lifetime, but they also risk their health and can't (legally ... wink wink) make enough money to buy the clothes and stuff they want.

Is it really a big deal that they get a Wii or digital camera? Who cares?

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I have no problem paying these kids to play sports, and even reward them with academic scholarships if they qualify and maintain their high academic standing. But they should pay their way through school as any other university employee would if they are paid employees of the university.

But if this is their employment, how can you mandate that they must retire after 4 years?

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

For the record, though I started this thread, I have no issue with the concept of paying college athletes.

I was a college athlete, and I can tell you that by the time I was done with classes, practice/games and study, there was no time left over to go get a job. The fact of the matter is that even college students with no obligations need money to do things like wash clothes and occasionally eat out. So put me in the pay them camp even without the revenue generation argument. Knowshon Moreno, for example, has generated untold dollars just by virtue of UGA jersey sales. The university is benefitting from his play well beyond the dollar value of his scholarship, and he'll never see a dime of that money under the current rules. To me that's patently unfair.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Scholarship athletes get a small stipend check each month.

5. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

these kids should be getting paid to play ... this is the least they can do. Schools, sponsorts, etc. are making an ass-load off these kids.

6. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Yeah. . .at maybe 10 schools nationally. Everybody else is just breaking even, having to spend money on sports that bring no return.

If college sports is such big business, how can you spend millions on a sport and get just thousands in return?

Draft saved Draft deleted