1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you had trouble getting a Wii for xmas, here's why

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Dec 27, 2007.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I'm sure those are done by a pass list, or said tickets are Annie Oakleyed all to hell.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The way I understand it the names are put on a pass list and the guest has to show ID at the gate to get in. The players never see the tickets and the guests don't get an acutal ticket.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I did a story on this a few years ago with a team I covered. Nothing happened. It is not illegal. The school "frowns" on it but the possessions are theirs and they have as much right to do the same thing as anyone else does with things they own.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

The NCAA initially ruled the UGA players ineligible, but rescinded it since there was no actual rule in place. Now there is a rule in place about selling them, I believe.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The follow up to that is to see if they claimed the revenue on their tax returns. if the IRS wanted to get nasty they could really bust some chops.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Are college football players' tax returns part of the public record?

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

No one's tax returns are part of the public record

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

This story is a good example oif why college athletes should not be paid money for their "work"
    They get several things out of the deal already:
    1. college tuition and books and accessories covered completely ($40,000-50,000 value)
    2. lots of free clothes throughout season and time on campus. Nice Russell athletic stuff, etc.
    3. Bowl and postseason items such as are mentioned in this story.

Please, let's not offer to pay these kids a dime. If they wish to be paid, have them prove themselves over a 4-year period and someone will take notice.
    The one's who aren't "noticed" will have their degree to fall back on.
    Most who are not yet graduated in 4 years will often be "taken care of" for the extra time it takes to complete degrees.

Please, write stories about how bad of an idea it would be to pay these kids.
    Please !!

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Individual tax returns are private. Non-profits or any incorporated entity such as an athletic foundation that files a 990 are available. You can search for them at guidestar.org.
    A player's parent told me something interesting. His son is a pro prospect and a senior, needs a semester to graduate. He's dropping out of school to train for the combine, but he was told that the school would take pay for that last semester regardless of what happens with his pro career whenever he decides to come back.
    I didn't know that was legal under the NCAA.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It's completely legal.

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Not to mention the cash from boosters that somehow turns up in unmarked envelopes.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Until college athletic programs are no longer for-profit entities, with coaches and athletic departments making millions of dollars off the sweat of these kids, they absolutely should get paid.

Draft saved Draft deleted