1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you guys are bill simmons fans,

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jagshemesh, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Jagshemesh

Jagshemesh New Member

like who?

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

You apparently haven't looked at the thread. The playboy pictorial is linked.

3. Jagshemesh

Jagshemesh New Member

A lot of people share the same opinion. His material hasn't been the same since he "went hollywood".

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Only Bill would write something like that. Anyhoo, sportsjournalists.com is the only place I need to be.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

THe last post in that thread was hilarious.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I had seen the references to this tonight, but thought it was a joke. Wow. Just wow.

7. Jagshemesh

Jagshemesh New Member

what do you think?

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Maybe I've missed a thread somewhere, or am just late to the party, but obviously there's a lot of anti-Simmons sentiment on SportsJournalists.com. Can someone shed a little light on why that is?

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes. Well-timed, son...!

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Oh. Forgive me for not wanting to wade through thousands of posts on hundreds of topics to find two or three sentences. It's slow this morning, but not that slow.
    It's just that I've been around these parts for six months or so now and have never really seen it explained. Just plenty of "Simmons sucks" comments, with no real backing other than people don't seem to like his writing style or schtick.

11. It all stems from the fact that Bobby McFerrin and Bill Simmons once gave Webby an atomic wedgie.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

For the benefit of all latecomers -- reasons why some SportsJournalists.commers hate Simmons (maybe for one, or two, or all these reasons):

1. He never leaves his couch -- thus "not a real reporter"
    2. Don't like his writing style or schtick -- how many "Karate Kid" references can one writer make? How many times can your bear Boston-centered columns?
    3. Was funny on AOL as the "Boston Sports Guy," but got less funny once he got to ESPN.com, and especially once he moved to L.A.
    4. Funny or not, he's spawning a generation of BLOGGERS! and two-bit comedian columnists who think pop culture references, rather than reporting, make the columnist.
    5. Has an annoying voice. Speaking, I mean.
    6. Makes a lot of money for a guy talking out his ass while sitting on the couch (tough to do, really), while real reporters like the people on this board break news and eat canned beans from the local food bank.

*Legal note: These reasons do not necessarily represent the personal opinion of Bob Cook, nor do they necessarily represent the personal opinions of Sportsjournalists.com, Webby, Moddy, or any poster who has given money to this enterprise.

Draft saved Draft deleted