1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you could write a 5,000-word takeout on one athlete, who would it be?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jan 16, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Martina Navratilova (sp), who's probably been done a million, bazillion times, but she interests me.

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Stuart Scott.

An enigma wrapped in a mystery.

3. Sconnie

Sconnie Member

Along the same line as Woods and how we don't know much about him, how about Tim Duncan? The guys is one of the most consistent players ever, he NEVER makes the news outside of basketball (not even endorsements), has played with the same team (which he transformed from doormat to one of the best), and went to a small (albeit ACC) smart-kid school.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Rusty Kuntz.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If I was an editor I'd need some hard selling on a Tiger Woods story. Is there really that much we don't know about him? After last year with Earl's death, what more can you really find out about his family story? Tons of tidbits are out there-- his yacht is named Privacy, he's so anally neat he makes his bed at hotels, he's notoriously cheap despite his millions. And his charity work is pretty well documented. But I really would be curious to hear how anyone would sell a totally new and fresh 5,000-word story about Woods. Maybe a couple years down the road after he's been a parent for a while would be the next good chance.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

This is a great topic.

I'd have less than zero interest in doing anything on an insufferable douche like Tiger Woods.

I've always thought Bill Parcells would be a great subject for a feature like this. He tries to give off a secretive air, but once you actually broke thru and spoke to him, I think he'd be great. I would love to know if he regrets not becoming the Chuck Noll of the Giants. The Maras loved him. All he had to do was accept a little bit less than the GNP of a third world country and accept the fact a GM would always be above him. He could have been the rare guy to spend 25 years in one place, but his ego was too big. And now he's a parody of himself, a Jersey guy sporting the Cowboys star as he tries to win one more title.

And I know it's a horrible cliche, but I'd figure out a way to work in Bob Seger's lines from "Still The Same."

And DD, if you get Mutombo, ask him how old he really is. No way he's only 40.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Brook Jacoby. :D

And I'd go with Barry Sanders. Just on the hope I could get something new.

8. Assuming he'd speak with me, and since (allegedly) he's still alive -- Fidel Castro. He was a baseball player, dammit! :D

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Hmmm, interesting choice. I've always felt Everett Skehan's Biography of A First Son was the definitive book on Marciano.

In a boxing vein, how about Holmes? He always seemed so bitter during his days as the champ that he was not as respected and well-regarded as Ali. How does he feel about it now? How does he look back on the Cooney fight, nearly 25 years later? It was the biggest fight of his career against a guy who wasn't in his league.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Terry Bradshaw is one to that comes to mind. He's a nutjob. He's funny. He can be brutally honest and he's led an interesting life, especially if you can really get him to open up about everything.

I interviewed him once. Had 10 minutes and that's all I had prepared for. I left wishing I could really sit down and talk to him and talk to the people who knew him at one point or another over the years. That alone brings some interesting characters into the mix, like Chuck Noll, Lynn Swann, Jo Jo Starbuck and Burt Reynolds, just to get started.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

A 5,000 word take-out? Ha Ha Ha Ha HA

What in the world is that?

I would assume we are talking about spreading it out over two weeks and making it an eight-part series if it has to be that long, especially since nowdays it seems like space is at such a premium the 35-inch takeout has been replaced by the eight-inch "overview"

12. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

I'd love to do a takeout on Vince McMahon. Could be fabulous.

Draft saved Draft deleted