1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you could switch, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SixToe, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

1) Auto reviewer
    2) Music critic

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Inky ...
    You find us some advertisers, funky can get the start-up expenses covered and I'll find us a tech expert and our webzine will be ready to go.

We can all work purely for fun and eat the fish you catch to keep us alive.

3. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

in a pleasant development, dr. idaho has convinced hospital administrators to support the new outdoors site through advertising. they will also kick in the start-up expenses. many of these outdoor activities keep the mind and body healthy, a win-win situation for all.

i just got off the phone with my realtor. she has a nice mountain chalet for me to check out. she says it's overlooking a hidden gem of a stream filled with cutthroat trout.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

healthy bodies are bad business for hospitals, technically. But that hypocratic oath and stuff ...

So who all is on our staff?
    Since Uma is the sugar-mama, I'm the editor in chief with the Tour de France assignment.
    ServeItUp is our endurance sports guy
    Funky/Inky get the fishing, camping and hiking beats
    I'll take cycling, speedskating and some other Olympic sports

Who's got skiing?
    What else needs covering?

5. funky_mountain

someone needs to take take kayaking/canoeing.
    someone else might need to take high-altitude climbing, rock climbing, etc. i'm toast at 12,000 feet and don't like being strapped to a rock face with more than a 40-foot drop.

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Soccer beat writer.

If that doesn't work out, food critic.

7. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

That would be Charlie LeDuff. He doesn't actually seem to write that many stories for the New York Times lately. In fact, a quick Google News search comes up empty. Must be too busy with books and TV. But he used to write for them about drinking. A gig I'd take. And, in another stretch, about working. I'd do that, too.
    But my first choice, at my current home anyway, would be city enterprise GA. Wander the streets. Tell their stories. That's all.

8. funky_mountain

charlie leduff no longer works for the ny times.
    http://poynter.org/forum/view_post.asp?id=12305
    http://www.maynardije.org/columns/dickprince/070212_prince/ (scroll down a bit)

9. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I don't like your rules, Six Toe! :mad:

I dream of being an Olympics reporter, but we barely touch anything above the high school level. :-\ I guess that's out...

Do I have to take a job that currently exists at my current shop?

I'd like to write sports features full-time, no more of the high school call-ins or endless Friday nights editing football stringers. We don't have a big enough staff to create a position like that, though.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Sorry. Maybe next time the thread will be the "Anything, anywhere dream job."

If that were the case I would choose to be like the late Johnny Apple, traveling and eating my way around the world.

As for Idaho's little outdoors plan, it needs a medical writer. I'll volunteer for that.

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

If by medical, you mean fitness, nutrition and recovering from injuries ...

You're HIRED!

We need DocTalk on board with us, too.

12. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Once upon a time, plenty of folks wanted to be a journalist and/or get into the newspapers.

Now, sadly, plenty of folks are looking around to get out, and that's not good.

It's so sad what has happened to the biz. WashPost took on the president once, and that was good. Now most papers suck up to a horrible president, and what the f*ck is that all about?

Big reasons why Joe SixPack and his lovely wife don't look to the media for answers anymore. This corporate media stuff has ruined it for anyone who wants the truth, the bottom-line truth, about anything and everything.

Geez, how bad it is these days, and how good it could have been -- and should have been.

Discuss at will.

Draft saved Draft deleted