1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you could go back in time...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Sep 6, 2012.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The story is on the link. Says the pitcher asked to go home around 2 a.m. and his manager said OK. Dude was a reliever who had thrown in the seventh-10th innings. Got home, his wife didn't believe him about the game and he slept on the couch the next two nights.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

even though i'm a dodger fan, i'd pick this one. i'd like to see clemente get the world series ring that was "his" ... since he won the mvp and all. maz kind of overshadowed the first one.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=197110170BAL

3. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I'd go back to the 1890s and free the slaves from the dastardly Dutch in Brooklyn.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Funny you mention it because I spoke at the ceremony when they unveiled that plaque about Babe Ruth's home run.

Don't ask, it's a long, long story. Tell you at the Goose next time around

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Oh, and Game Six

7. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

An Athletics-Yankees game from 1928, so you could see Ty Cobb, Tris Speaker, Eddie Collins, Mickey Cochrane, Jimmie Foxx, Lefty Grove, Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig in the same game. Plus about 10 more guys who are in the Hall or close.

#1 game I would never want to see again: Galarraga-Joyce. It wouldn't be any fun if you knew the ending in advance. Was wild the first time, though.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Thanks! We had some badass showdowns.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Actually, I'd like to go back to Game 1 of the 1919 World Series, watch it really closely to see what sort of bullshit the White Sox pulled and then wait for them after the game. I could scream at 'em, "Cut the crap! Do you want to get banned and be known as 'Black Sox' for all eternity, all for a few grand?!"

Swede Risberg would, of course, go tell me to fuck myself.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

I would go back to Oct. 2, 1951, and shank me a Giant.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I'd want to be in the hotel before the game. I want to see Abe Attell (or anyone else) standing on a chair waving bills around. And I want a picture of that.

12. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Also a good comeback I wouldn't mind seeing
    http://research.sabr.org/journals/detroits-dazzling-debut

The American League makes its debut as the Tigers score 10 in the ninth to beat the Brewers

Draft saved Draft deleted