1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If we are indeed on the cusp of WW3, how are you preparing?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Almost_Famous, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

I would suggest watching this: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/films/1964to1979/filmpage_casualties.htm

2. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

While joking about the fruit rollups, i was serious about the rest.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Listening to my friend's band version of REM's "It's the End of the World ..." which is a country meets thrash metal version!

4. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Wow, only now seeing the rest of the thread.

A) If a dirty bomb or something else hits, martial law could happen. You just never know. And if you have to get the fuck out outta dodge and you have a car, those that don't will be coming after you for yours.

B) And I'm closer to buying into my first $500 game of hold em than buying a gun.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

A.) If you have to get the fuck out of Dodge, where are you going to go? Won't you be going the same place as the rest of the panicking populace?

B.) Those that come after your car will probably shoot you with a bigger gun than yours.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Hey A_F ... BOO!

Did that scare you too?

By the way, if martial law "hits" nobody's going anywhere far in their car.

Damn dude, stop being so paranoid. You're better than that.

I never thought I'd say this, but you need to go put some of your A_F moves on some women down at the bar to take the edge off. You've definitely reached red on your needs-to-get-a-piece-of-ass-to-chill-the-fuck-out alert scale.

I'd rather you be a faux-ladies man than a paranoid fruit roll-up eatin' ...  gun obsessed ... shut in.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Apparently, nobody paid attention to what was happening in New Orleans after Katrina last year. It was a good preview of what will happen in a terrorist attack, when all hell is breaking loose and society is breaking down:

1) The unaffected areas of the country will go on with life as usual. If a dirty bomb is set off in New York, people in St. Louis will watch on their TVs in horror and there may be some general panic and economic fallout. But otherwise, they're not affected by the immediate aftermath.

2) For people in the affected areas, it's a different story. Their life becomes a living hell, one based on minute-to-minute survival. Many cops will have either died, evacuated or are taking advantage to the situation to benefit themselves (i.e., looting and extortion). The good cops that remain are too undermanned to send out regular patrols or respond to distress calls. And, if there's no power, they're likely to hole up in the stationhouse at night. During that time, people are on their own. Some police in other areas of the city may also defend their turf. Try to escape to the suburb, and you'll get a round fired over your head. The second is in it.
    Gangs of thugs will roam the streets and control large portions of the area. These are your typical street gang members. They're not nice, moral, thinking people. You can either have a gun to protect yourself from them, or they'll just take what they want from you. Don't think that just because there's an unlooted store across the way that they won't shoot you for your last fruit roll-up. Even if they don't particularly care for fruit roll-ups.

3) Immediate concerns are food, water and safety -- and absolutely nothing else. If it's a Katrina-like response, which is fairly typical given damage to infrastructure and general government ineptitude, figure three days at best before the troops arrive. In that time, you're on your own. Basically, don't count on the government for anything except making a bad situation worse (which should have been the biggest lesson everyone took from Katrina).

In short, when the shit hits the fan it doesn't hurt to be prepared. Like I said, the three main things are food, water and safety. Have some tuna, fruit roll-ups or whatever floats your boat handy. Have a case or two of bottled water stashed away. And, if you don't like guns, have a knife, baseball bat, rocket launcher or whatever in your closet. Because if you don't, you'll more than likely be visited by someone who does.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Fruit Roll-ups!

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

[​IMG]

10. Flash

Flash Guest

I just got back from Costco and I bought a bike helmet last week. Am I OK?

11. Flash

Flash Guest

Oh and if anyone tries to go jihad into my basement apartment, they have to deal with my dog and my softball swing ...

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I wish my office's vending machine had FUCKING FRUIT ROLL-UPS!!!! :mad:

Draft saved Draft deleted