1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If this is Damon Evans' legacy hire ... just wow

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Apr 2, 2009.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Georgia hires Nevada's Mark Fox. I don't claim to be the most knowledgeable college hoops guy around, but ... Mark Fox?

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/uga/stories/2009/04/02/uga_basketball_fox.html

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Could've done worse.

3. novelist_wannabe

That's not exactly a ringing endorsement, buck

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

He's better than Felton.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No, it's not. But what exactly should Georgia expect? You really think Grant or Anderson was realistic?

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Exactly. It's Georgia basketball.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I don't know if his style and his bed-side manner will go over really well in Athens -- but he does have a good record, he has proven he can recruit somewhat reasonably well and he has proven he can win with slightly inferior talent.

I think Georgia could have done a whole lot worse.

8. novelist_wannabe

He's Dennis Felton all over again. I seriously hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it. Was Fox ever at Pepperdine?

9. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Also not exactly a ringing endorsement.

SEC East coach lineup: Donovan, Calipari, Pearl, Stallings, Horn and ... Mark Fox. Good luck, pal!

10. novelist_wannabe

Just answered my own question. He was not, according to his bio on the Nevada website.

I'll go on record and say Georgia will be doing this again in four years or less.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

On first glance a lot of people might think it's Mark Few and get excited ... until they realize it's someone they've never heard of. The guy has never worked east of Kansas State, so there's probably not a high school player or coach in Georgia that knows him.

This is a hire made by an athletic director with total confidence in his job security, which Damon should have.

12. novelist_wannabe

Buck, no, perhaps they weren't realistic. But Damon Evans isn't paid to be realistic. A place of Georgia's stature should never have to downgrade its expectations to realistic. Recruiting somewhat reasonably well isn't good enough in the SEC East. Being able to win with inferior talent should serve him well, but I'd say that will only get him so far.

The timing is interesting, given that Evans has been pilloried by the talk-show wonks the past two days over Anderson.

Draft saved Draft deleted