1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If This Guy Wasn't Safe, Then How Can Anyone Be These Days?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Andy _ Kent, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

So much for going that extra mile and seeing it pay off with job security. I guess the company was growing tired of dealing with the medical insurance woes that came with his taking a bullet on the job. :mad:

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2009/04/suburban_journals_fires_reporter_who_took_bullet_during_kirkwood_massacre.php

2. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

My God.

I have nothing to add that's remotely coherent. The state of the industry is sickening.

3. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Rethinking the whole "take a bullet to improve job security" strategy. Have to make a quick phone call.

4. I Digress

I Digress Guest

It goes beyond the pale that they'd lay this guy off. It is somewhat hard to figure out, furthermore, why they'd get rid of online people.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Because they don't make any money for the paper?

6. No, but seriously, fuck Mary Junck and Lee Enterprises.

7. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

But the Internet is the future, right?

In all seriousness, look at the publicity this guy helped get for his paper:

Not to mention the sheer shittiness of being let go after literally taking a bullet for the biz and working through the trauma he most certainly had to be dealing with in the aftermath.

8. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Why do people think they're indispensable, in any job? Unless you own the place, and even then that's no guarantee.

I've been fired, laid off, pick the name, by people who felt really bad about it, they said. Didn't stop them. I get the fact he was shot in the hand while at work, but this is an industry of bean counters. And bean counters count beans, not bullets, or awards, or dedication.

The sooner you get that, the sooner you quit wailing like a baby who lost his pacifier at the latest indignity. It sucks, true. But it should be no more surprising than day following night.

9. RickStain

Why would I ever want to be the person who stops wailing about indignity and injustice?

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

How in the world could this guy have been laid off?

He had hand!

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

So if this guy hadn't gotten shot and no one had ever heard of him, would this thread ever have been started? Would any of you care?

12. RickStain

No, but he did and we do.

Draft saved Draft deleted