1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Things Are As Bad As We All Think...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sammi, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

one of the most unbrilliant posts i've ever read.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Perhaps even more than the money, what I found unsustainable were the hours, particularly covering anything but college football or the NFL.

I was fortunate enough to reunite with an old college friend who I ended up marrying. It was a lucky break because otherwise, those first couple years out of the chute, with their nights and weekends for less than $30K a year, were hellish on trying to establish an adult lifestyle. Some of my own insecurities kept me at it for longer than I should have, to be honest. I was surrounded by preps lifers and "calling" people, and racked with ridiculous guilt any time I considered leaving preps, leaving sports, or leaving the business. What an odd time. I basically gave away my 20s.

3. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

The guilt part is always brought up here when people talk about getting out.

I was lucky that there wasn't a lot of that for me. Good group of guys. They probably were happy to see me go.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

And I don't mean just guilt about getting out of the newspaper business or journalism.

I'm talking micro-targeted guilt. Guilt about getting out of preps. Guilt about getting out of non-revenue preps even. Guilt about considering getting out of sports.

Maybe I imagined some of it, but not all of it. I definitely picked up a, "Oh, you think you're too good for prep softball/preps/sports/newspapers?" vibe in this business, when one gets a little too ambitious.

Now ... that doesn't mean it's not annoying when someone flaunts their belief that they're too good for the work they're doing. It can be a tough tight rope to walk - letting your boss know you have some ambition vs. not acting too big for what you're doing.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Bleacher Report Nation.

Draft saved Draft deleted