1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If the presidential election were held today, who would you vote for?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Sep 29, 2011.

?

If the presidential election were held today, who would you vote for?

1. Barack Obama

72 vote(s)
    56.7%
  2. Chris Christie

8 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Rick Perry

5 vote(s)
    3.9%
  4. Mitt Romney

8 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. Michele Bachmann

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  6. Herman Cain

10 vote(s)
    7.9%
  7. Ron Paul

4 vote(s)
    3.1%
  8. Rick Santorum

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  9. Jon Huntsman

10 vote(s)
    7.9%
  10. Sarah Palin

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  11. Newt Gingrich

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  12. Ralph Nader

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  13. Gary Johnson

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, that would be a bit poetic... A friend who lives in Florida, said, "Rubio now is just what Obama was before the 2004 election."

I said, "Is that a compliment?"

2. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Both Jindal, and Rubio will only be 45 and 46, respectively, when the 2016 election rolls around. John Thune will only be 55. Even Chris Christie will only be 54. They'll all be baby-faced by GOP Presidential standards.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. mythirdalt

mythirdalt Member

Chris Christie is the "in guy" right now, but if you actually listen to him talk, he's a complete asshole and fairly unintelligent. But he's the "northeastern Republican" he's supposed to make eastern establishment Republicans feel good.

This field is awful and Christie would only add to the mess. Jon Thune or Paul Ryan would have been decent. I wish either of them would have run, but they are smart and waiting for 2016

4. Mizzougrad96

You're certainly entitled to your opinion and I would be lying if I said that anyone in the current field excited me, but I've watched a few of Christie's ton hall meetings and there's a big part of me that thinks that this is what the country needs right now.

I'm sick of people trying to make everyone happy and therefore accomplishing nothing.

You are absolutely right about him being the trendy pick right now and he could fade as fast as Perry once he entered the race. But I'm willing to hear what he has to say.

I also don't like how frequently people throw around "unintelligent" or "dumb"

You may disagree with everything any of these candidates stand for, but none are dumb.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Anything that keeps a microphone in front of Michelle Bachmann, I'm a supporter of.

6. Mizzougrad96

Or a corn dog... :D

7. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I knew McCain stood no chance when he brought Palin on board. It was one of those moves that was supposed to invigorate politics and lead the charge for the first woman VP, but in hindsight it was reaching for a star they could never grab.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

CC gives credit for his prevaiing inspiration to Nancy, W and Henry Kissinger.

Really? Two people who are barely there, and a war criminal?

And his wife's a down-the-line Wall Streeter?

We can do better.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Now, Mizzou, there is no need to resort to fat jokes. We can discuss policy issues like adults.

Seriously, I went to high school in NJ and no one despises Christie like my friends who are public school teachers.
    [/quote]

With good reason.

Let's further denigrate the public school systems (while CC sends his kids, private . . . )

Nothing will aid the GOP electoral causes, more.

10. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Now there is no need to make fat jokes Mizzou, we can discuss policy like adults.

Seriously, I went to high school in NJ and no one despises Christie like my friends who are public school teachers

11. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

What are you talking about? Bringing Palin on board caused him to surge ahead in the polls and he actually led until he "suspended his campaign" for the financial crisis. It was a big shot in the arm for the McCain campaign.

12. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

I don't think it would have mattered much whoever had won in 2008.

The problem is Congress, specifically the Senate and its parliamentary rules and courtesies that were not intended to be used in the way they so often are now. You need 60 votes in the Senate to pass anything because anything less allows the other side to continue a filibuster. One disgruntled Senator can hold up Senate consideration of a Presidential nomination - and do so anonymously at that - to force a said President to do as they wish or even just to be a pain in the rear.

Draft saved Draft deleted