1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If that ball lands in my yard again I'm keeping it - you'll get arrested

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 20, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I'm sorry, I was one of those kids who was playing sports all day. We had an old neighbor too the right and an old neighbor behind us. They didn't like it when the ball went in their yard but that was too damn bad. We just hopped the cyclone fence and grabbed it. The old hag to the back of our house would complain all the time but too bad. We never broke anything or trampled the flowers.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Your attitude is the reason why the old lady won't put up with these kids bullshit.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Did you ever say you were sorry, or maybe help them out with a chore or two?

Hopefully I will be old a feeble someday, and I hope my neighbors will help me every once in a while.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Well, considering my brother and I did everything for all of our elderly neighbors (who never called their grand kids apparently) such as shoveling snow, painting the fence, cleaning up the branches after storms, it was pretty much fair game to go in the yard and get a ball. Don't get me wrong, we weren't perfect kids. But I'm not going to lie, we would simply hop the fence grab it, hop back. Fifteen seconds tops. We never let it stay there, never hurt anything. No harm no foul.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Why in the world would you do all the chores for an "old hag" who lived behind your house?

6. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

I hope when I'm old and feeble, I enjoy watching neighborhood kids play in their yards, ball in mine or not.

I'm neither old nor feeble and haven't seen kids outside playing in years.

By the way, isn't Cincinnati where they busted an old lady for feeding parking meters that were about to expire?

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We were pretty much the same way, minus the community service. If there was no dog in the yard, we just went and got it. Some neighbors didn't like that because it messed up the chain-link fence over time, which I can understand. And a couple spots we played wiffle ball, the fence served as the outfield fence so we were going over quite a bit.
    But it's not like we were having lunch in there.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Do you know how much a fence costs?

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Bingo!

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Honestly guys? When you live in a neighborhood you EXPECT kids walking through your yard, especially if that's where their ball has landed. It's part of being in a community. Hell by a certain point my next door neighbors just told me to make sure I closed the gate whenever I'd go grab a ball that went over the fence.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Edna Jester? seriously?

Sounds like a name in a 1950s potboiler.

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

As long as the ball didn't break anything, the old lady is wrong. Either you sneak in the yard and get it, or ask the lady if you can go into her yard and get it.

I've never understood the whole "my yard is holy ground" thing. It's just a patch of fucking grass. Get the ball, and be on your way. That's all it has to be.

Draft saved Draft deleted