1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If it works in middle school, maybe it'll work for the Dallas Cowboys

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Nov 8, 2010.

1. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

Whatever helps recruiting, Doc!

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Tough to say, maybe just maybe he thought the kids would enjoy a trick play. The other scenarios are quite plausible as well. He may just be a self important blowhard, just not sure firing him isn't an overreaction.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Just to be clear ... wasn't talking about firing him from his main teaching gig. Just the coaching assignment. It's probably some piddling sum, relative to how much work he puts into it. And I might not even do that. But I'd make it damn clear that shananigans such as that will not be tolerated in the future.

4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I agree with those that think this was a dumb thing to do in a middle school game. Maybe the coach's kids did enjoy it. He also made 11 kids on the defensive side of the ball feel dumber that shit, when really it was probably their coach's fault for not teaching them to be watching for those kinds of trick plays. Of course, I can't blame those coaches, who probably spent most of the season teaching the kids to put their pads on right and run the three or four simple running plays most middle school offenses employ.

I'd feel a differently about a hidden ball trick in baseball at that age (11 or 12) or something, I think, but this, at the middle school level which is often one of, if not, the first exposure to playing real football, I felt was a jackass move.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Wade Phillips has time to coach the team now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=5780262

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

As someone who played football through middle school and high school, my guess is the kids most definitely enjoyed running the trick play. The kids on the defensive side of the football were probably pissed they gave up a touchdown, but I doubt they suffered the emotional scarring some of you seem think they did. Believe it or not, kids don't need to have their feelings protected every second of the day.

And, believe it or not, the play might have actually taught the defensive team something in the process. When the ball moves, you move and you move until the whistle tells you to stop. They might — gasp! — become better football players for it.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Maybe, but do you really doubt for a second that this was all about the coach's need for attention?

8. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Coach's need for attention? Fire him from coaching? Middle school coaching is about teaching the fundamentals. This play offers a great tool to teach the defense the fundamental that when the ball moves, play begins. The play also drives that fact home to the team that used it successfully. Good for the coach.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Reading the title, I thought this was a thread about middle school girls performing lap dances.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Indeed.

I laugh my ass off every time I watch that play. Good for the coach who called it, good for the team for executing it. Well done.

If one of my sons were on the defence, first thing I'd ask him after I stop laughing: "Did you learn anything?"

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Can the other team use it as a learning tool? Absolutely.

Was the coach a tool for doing it? Absolutely.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'm under no illusions that there was any emotional scarring involved. As the father of a middle-school boy (who plays football, but not on either of these teams) I would not be worried about his emotional state in the least. What I can't get past is the thought of this "grown-up" cackling about what he is going to pull off.

I'd also be pretty pissed if my son (playing offense) had to hold his position and take a helluva shot just for the coach to see if the other team was up on its fundamentals.

Draft saved Draft deleted