1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If I had $50 million ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd put out a $50 million reward for Idaho's bike.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Then I'd go buy the same make and model and claim the reward.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

[​IMG]
    FOR EVERYONE ON SportsJournalists.com!

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Alleyallen had the right answer. Freelance -- do what you want and turn down what you don't feel like doing.

And BT, those guys you mentioned got rich because of their jobs and are still making gobs of money from them, so the headaches are worth it. The headaches ain't worth the BS money of our jobs. Plus, they're the boss, so they can take off for a month in Rio anytime they feel like it. You can't.

So, yeah, you'd still work at something -- writing a novel, investing, freelancing, volunteering. But stay in the daily grind of your current job? No. Unless you're a big-time, multi-media columnist type like Whitlock.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I'd still work, but only singing jobs.  And I'd buy me a Junior A hockey team and sing the anthem any time I felt like it.

And I'd make my players teach me how to skate. If they laugh at me, they have to wash my car.

6. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I would give a nice chunk to Mom and Dad...tell my close friends "You get one whopping ass gift from me. I'm talking luxury car, covering your kids' tuition, paying off a business loan. What do you want?" Casual friends, I would just take them to Vegas for a weekend on my dime.
    After that, I would open up a bar and a bookstore/record store, probably in the city where I'm living. Buy a house in a decent neighborhood, nothing fancy. I would freelance whenever I felt like it, but I would probably mainly hang out at the bar or the bookstore/record store. Probably the most extravagant thing I would get would be like a 1970s muscle car.
    Of course, knowing me, half of my money would probably quickly end up in the bank account of a stripper or a cocktail waitress...

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Damn you Idaho! I saw the beginning to your answer and thought you were taking it seriously, so I skimmed over it. ;D

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I hope you and sportschick aren't working the desk tonight. especially not if your editing F_B's headlines. poor, poor reading skills demonstrated today.
    :D

and I'd pay Kaysar to go on dates with IJAG.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Thanks!

Hey, wait! :mad: :mad:

And I'm on a self-imposed break from boys. They all lie and are selfish motherfuckers.

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

OK, I'll pay for you and Ellen and/or Rosie to go on a date.

And I've never done anything of the sort with my mother!

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Besides the obvious (give some money to my kids but not enough to encourage indolence), I'd
    1) Buy a 20th floor condo on Lake Ontario
    2) Buy an OHL franchise and make Huggy my Prez and GM
    3) Buy an apartment in Manhattan for weekend trips
    4) Get in shape (oh, I know  you don't need $50 million to do that)
    5) Start a publishing house and sign up Jones for his next 10 books
    6) Buy a MiniCooper and go on the mother of all road trips
    7) Finance an SportsJournalists.com outing in Paris.

12. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Well, while typing in all the lyrics from memory ... er, Googling the lyrics, the first reply had been posted. Still thought it was worth a post, so I tried again. POST-BLOCKED by the second reference. Try, try again is my motto, so wapow! I just happened to hear the song the other day on XM. That's why it clicked.

In the business, it's called the $50 million F-You!

Draft saved Draft deleted