1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If I had $50 million ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Jun 30, 2006.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Anyone who says they'd keep their job if they won the lottery is lying. The first time your boss asked you to do something you didn't want to do, you'd think, `I don't need this' and quit.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

God'll get you, 'Daho, if you're handing out all that cash and not tithing to the church.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Hello, Vegas? I'd like $100 on black. D'oh! Oh, I'll send you a check.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

3 million to Webby.

The rest.

Live  baby live.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

OK, then I'd become a stringer, working games I want to work and bailing out after pounding out a 12-inch gamer.

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

My church doesn't want gambling money. Filthy lucre.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well, I referenced the song first. So shut up!!!  :D

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'm always amazed (and a little skeptical) about all these people who say they would retire immediately.

We all know of many people with this kind of money . . . but almost none of them are retired. Is Micky Arison retired? Steve Jobs? Why aren't they just "partying all the time in Vegas, baby"?

I may quit my current job, but I couldn't imagine not working, even if it was doing something part-time or volunteer work just to, you know, stay relevant in the world.

I mean, how many times can you tell people you meet who ask what you do, "Oh, nothing. I used to be a writer. But I won the lottery xx years ago. So now I do nothing." ?

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I'd keep my job, maybe scale back a little, but I'd want to keep writing just because I like doing it.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'd buy a condo in one of the new buildings going up on the Strip in Las Vegas, a loft in Georgetown or NYC, a cabin and 1,000 or so acres in Colorado, Montana or somewhere else with a trout stream running through it and a beach house on Islamorada. Then I spend my time rotating between the four places, depending on my mood and season.

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

True, but I didn't steal your lines.

and I'd buy a minor league baseball or arena football team. Call myself a mini-Mark Cuban.

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Those people were never motivated by money in the first place, otherwise they never would have made that much. I think alleyallen is referring to a situation where $50 million might fall into your lap, like winning the lottery or finding a $50 million bill on the street.

Draft saved Draft deleted